Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Christian's surgery

Today Children's Hospital called and wanted to pre-register Christian for his surgery next week.  I got their message and called them back right away. They just wanted our names, occupation, and to make sure they have our insurance information correct. I proceeded to ask the lady if she had any idea how much this would cost. She said the fee for the hospital is $8900, his surgeon fee is $1300, and the anesthesiologist would be another fee.  I figured this would be at least a $10,000 surgery and I was right! And it will only take about an hour! Crazy!!

She also told me that they like us to pay a little bit of it the day of the surgery.  Luckily, we only have $353 left of our $6500 deductible for the year, so we will probably just finish off the deductible next week!

This is one of the main reasons we decided to do his surgery this year.  After we finish the deductible, we continue to pay 10% of the rest of the bills for awhile.  I think I would rather pay $1,000 compared to $10,000. I think we will go the cheaper route!!  (These are all estimation prices.)

At the end of the phone call today, I admit, I was getting a little weepy about it all. I really don't want to have Christian go through surgery, but I know in the end, it is the best decision for him right now.  After I got off the phone, Christian leaned over and gave me a hug to make me feel better. He is so sweet!

Tonight, we prayed for a successful surgery and Courtney asked,"Are you going to cry again?" I said not tonight, but I will probably cry a lot next Thursday, I will be 36 weeks pregnant at the time too! In response to this, Christian said, "I will just have to give you more hugs and kisses, mommy!"  He's going to make me cry even more because he is so sweet!! I am crying over him and he's the one trying to make me feel better! I love that kid!

If you were wondering, Christian is having an umbilical hernia repair surgery. He has a hole in his muscle under his skin from where his umbilical cord was attached to his belly button, but his muscle never came together like it should have. We want to catch it and fix it before it gets any worse. They said if they don't heal themselves by the age of five, they will probably not ever heal themselves, hence the surgery to fix it.

I thought this website does a great job of explain what will happen next Thursday.
http://www.chp.edu/CHP/Umbilical+Hernia+Repair+Surgery

No comments:

Post a Comment