Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Christian's cast

People keep asking me how Christian is doing with his cast. I think he is doing well! I am sure his only complaint is that it itches! He has actually scratched a mole on the back of his arm from scratching so bad! He has adjusted to doing many things right handed instead of left.

There are a few things he used to be able to do, but now he can't anymore. :(

1.  Get dressed! He cannot get his shirt/ pajamas on or off over his cast, so we need to help him every time. Megan and Courtney actually helped him get dressed the other morning.

2.  Going potty, sometimes. He needs help getting his pants up and down. It's hard to do one-handed! If he has pants on with just elastic, he seems to do better.

3.  Cutting and drawing. He loves to sit at the table, draw a picture, and then cut it out. The poor thing tries so hard to draw and cut with his right hand.  I sat down one day and helped him, but he always has these big projects in mind and I don't want to sit there so long! This would actually keep him occupied while I was working with the girls. I seem to have a lot more interruptions lately.

I have actually put our preschool activities with him on hold a little bit because we were working on our letters, which involve writing.  We are still reading books and doing other activities that don't involve writing or cutting!

4.  Playing outside. The one thing that all the kids loved to do together lately was swing! I loved looking out the kitchen window and all three were out there playing together. Now, Christian has a hard time swinging, so he doesn't go out there very often anymore. He can't ride his bike or scooter either. Yesterday, I forced him to go on a walk around the block. I can definitely tell he is not getting outside and wearing off his energy like he used to.

5.  Eating. The poor thing has been eating with his right hand, which takes him a lot longer, plus he makes a much bigger mess!

So in the end, he is really not complaining at all and has just adjusted in his own way!

No comments:

Post a Comment