Thursday, October 15, 2015

Another Crazy Day!

Here's how my day went yesterday and I was totally exhausted!

8:05 My phone rang and it was Children's Hospital Orthopedic Clinic. They want to get Christian in for a follow up visit from his ER visit on Tuesday. They mentioned that they had Thursday at 11:15 open. I responded that neither the time nor day will not work because he has surgery scheduled for 9 am. I mentioned that we need to come in today and the only time frame I really have is from 2-5 pm. The receptionist said she will talk to a nurse and get back to me as soon as she can.

8:15 The receptionist called back and said she can get Christian in at 2:30. Great!!

8:40 am Arrive at the orthodontist office. Megan and Courtney both got their palette expanders off  and now they have a lot less metal in their mouth. Megan actually has no metal anymore. We are going to wait six months to see if her teeth line up and if they don't, she will be getting a full set of braces.  Courtney still has her braces and they are going to straighten her teeth out some more with those.

 9:30 Arrive at the library. We had to take some books back PLUS I needed to print something off. The orthopedic office that called right before we left home said they were going to email me some forms to fill out for Christian's appointment in the  afternoon. Of course, I forgot to print them off before we left and I thought the library would be a great place to do it.  It worked out ok, I need to remember to print things off at home next time!

10:00 Arrive at the Homeschool Learning Center. Courtney had her class at 10, so Megan, Christian, and I went upstairs to hang out with the other moms.

Courtney's class was over at 10:50 and Megan's and Christian's start at 11, so I had to go do the big switch about that time.  Courtney and I took Christian into his room and thought that we better stay and see if he needed some help, since he is down to one hand and they seem to do a lot of hands on projects in his class!

Right before his class starts at 11, my phone rings and it is Dr. Jones, the surgeon who is going to do his surgery on Thursday.  He got news from my sister in law that works up there that Christian broke his arm and said he wanted to delay surgery at least two weeks.  He pretty much said it is too much for his body to be healing from a broken arm AND then heal from a hernia surgery. Ok, so no surgery tomorrow! I felt SOOO relieved!

After this phone call, I went back into Christian's classroom and helped him do his work for his class. Courtney actually did most of the work! She wants to help again next week!

NOON- Walk out of the Homeschool Learning Center with the three kids and head to Pepperjax for lunch. You have to love Kids Eat Free on Wednesdays!!

1:05 Arrive at my midwife's office for my weekly appointment.  I gained three pounds, but I say a lot of that was because I just ate lunch. :) My blood pressure was slightly higher than usual, but I expected that! My midwife also checked me and said I am still way high and not even close to delivering. I think she expects me to go late again, which is fine.  I also asked her if she would be comfortable if we did Christian's surgery in two weeks.  I would be 38 1/2 weeks pregnant at that point and she said that we should definitely do it then! She said it was be easier to do it with baby inside of me than having to take care of aa newborn AND trying to take care of Christian. Since she wasn't afraid of me going early, she said that should not be an issue! She checked the baby's heartbeat and it was at 145. She also felt the baby and said he is still head down. She was able to feel his knees and feet up by ribs. She measured me and I was 37 cm. We talked about a couple more items on my birth plan and we were done.

1:35 We pull away from the clinic office and head back to the Homeschool Learning Center. Courtney had forgot her bag there with her MP3 player in it, so we needed to stop and find that, which we did!

2:20 Pull into Children's Hospital Parking Garage.  Remember those papers I copied off at the library and was supposed to have filled out before I got to my appointment? Well, Megan filled them out in the car on the way there!

We got checked in and waited.  We got called back into a room and probably waited another half an hour for the doctor to come in. They should really put some books or magazines in their rooms for their patients! Luckily, Courtney had a word search book and some paper and we were able to occupy ourselves with those for that length of time.

The doctor finally came in with a resident and proceeded to tell us that his arm WAS broke. I asked her if she saw the break and she said she did see it on his x-ray. She even pulled up the x-ray and showed me. I saw a slight break, but couldn't see the rest of it. She said if I pulled it up on her bigger machines, it was pretty clear. She explained that the break went all the way across his bone and is one of the most popular places where children will break a bone. She said he would need a cast for three weeks and she left.

About five to ten minutes later, two other women walked in and they put a cast on Christian's arm. He wanted a blue and white striped cast, so that is what he got! He only winced a little bit, but for the most part, did great!

After the cast was on, we made an appointment for it to come off in three weeks. His appointment is Friday, November 6th, which is two days before my due date!

Our next and final stop was pediatric surgery, which is right next door. We had to stop in and reschedule Christian's surgery. The lady there gave me a few dates to bring home and talk to Matt with. There was one in two weeks and if that didn't work, we would have to do it in December.

After this discussion, we got back in our car and arrived at home around 4:15. I was exhausted!!!! I got to sit down for about an hour and then it was time to make supper and get to church. I didn't feel like cooking anything, so we had leftovers for supper! We don't do leftovers very often anymore!

Church went well and we arrived home around 8:30. Matt and I decided that since Christian hasn't had a shower since Sunday and it was probably a two-man job now, we should probably give him a shower yet before he went to bed. We put a Wal-Mart sack over his cast and washed him up.  We then got him into bed, got the girls into bed, and got us to bed. AH, the day was over and I did not have to get up at 6 am for surgery on Thursday! I actually turned my alarm off and slept in. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment