Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Enough Socialization?

I got in a casual conversation today with a lady (I won't say who or where she lives, but her kids do go to public school) and she was asking me how homeschooling ws going. I said it was going good. I told her we were planning on keeping Courtney home next year and we were starting to teach her to read right now.

Then the topic of socialization came up and the conversation went something like this.

Her: So what do you do for socialization? Oh yes, you said they went to PE class on Tuesday (I had previously told her that we went to PE class at Prarie Life today).
Me: Yes, and Megan takes art class at Aldrich on Mondays.
Me: Plus we are starting a class at the Homeschool Learning Center on Wednesday afternoons.
Me: Plus we have AWANA on Wednesday nights
Me: And Megan takes ballet class on Thursday
Her: Oh, ok (another mom pulled up, so the conversation had to end)

My thoughts: So my kid does not spend 40 hours a week around other kids, does that mean she is not socialized?? Do they NEED to spend that much time around other kids? What is the minimal requirement these days? (insert sarcasm)

What would she have said if I said that we stay at home ALL day and don't get out AT ALL?? Would've she told me to send my kid back to public school? I felt like I had to be accountable to her for our socialization and make sure I passed with her approval.

Honestly, I think my kids don't need that much socialization. I think that is one reason Megan likes it at home, she enjoys her family and she doesn't like to be around that many people all day long. She would be quite happy to stay at home all day! What is wrong with that?? I understand the concern, many people think that because we homeschool, we stay home all day and never leave. HA! Anybody who knows me should know better!! I get my kids out, but really, if we were out all the time, we wouldn't get school done!

I agree that maybe we should get involved in more things, but I would be concerned if my kids didn't participate or if they stood apart from the crowd. (Ok, Courtney has a hard time going to PE class, but she's just beginning and doesn't know anybody. She does great at preschool.)

Once we are around others, Megan is always making a friend, I admit, I probably need to get Courtney around more groups, but she's one that just takes awhile. She would rather stand back for awhile and observe everybody than jump in right away. She's not one to just go out and find somebody to play with like Megan is, I think some of it is definitely her personality. She always likes to have a friend to hang out with, I was the same way when I was younger. If you push her too much, she gets scared and will just sit and cry. She just needs her time to adjust to a new situation and the more often you go, the better she is with it (like preschool).

No comments:

Post a Comment