Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Trying New Food at the Ruwe House. :)

Ever since I took Megan into her 10 year checkup in November, I have been on a quest to get more dark green, calcium rich food into our diets.  At that checkup, I was told by a soon-to-be nurse practitioner that I should be giving her TUMS for calcium.  She said that since she grew four inches last year, that she really needs her calcium, which I agree, BUT I do not think I need to give my kids TUMS for calcium!!  I told her that we eat fruits and vegetables and she has dairy products through out the day AND I would much rather get her nutrients from food than from supplements, but she still insisted I give them to her! Like usual, I nodded my head and we went on with her checkup.

Because of this and Megan's huge growth spurt, I have been introducing new calcium-rich foods every once in awhile here.  I got a list of foods that are high in calcium from my chiropractor and I have been trying to serve those foods around here.  My only problem is that I have never prepared these foods before!!

As of the last month, I have prepared broccoli and asparagus for the first time! I roasted both of them in olive oil and I don't usually like broccoli, but I LOVE roasted broccoli!! Tonight, I served brussel sprouts. I have never had them before, but I bought some the other day thinking that I should add them to a meal some night, so tonight it was! I looked up online how to make them and I found out that you can roast them in olive oil just like the asparagus and broccoli. 

I thought they were pretty good! I  also thought they tasted a lot like roasted asparagus. We had to bribe the children to eat them.  Matt said they could split a pop between the three of them if they ate five pieces. Well, Courtney and I ended up splitting the pop. She ate more than her required five pieces! Christian absolutely refused to eat them and Megan was trying, but making a big deal out of it. So they didn't get any pop!

I'm not sure what will be next on the list...maybe sweet potatoes? cauliflower?

(I am also trying to get away from eating potatoes or some kind of starch every night! I guess this is also better than the pasta we used to eat on a daily basis two years ago!)

No comments:

Post a Comment