Saturday, January 25, 2014

Finished 5th grade Spelling...well, kind of...

I haven't posted about Megan finishing her 5th grade spelling book on Friday because she's not quite done.  We have been working out of this book for the last year (last half of 3rd grade and first half of fourth grade).

http://www.christianbook.com/curriculum-spelling-workout-grade-5-homeschool/9781428432710/pd/843271?item_code=WW&netp_id=1111939&event=PPCSRC&view=details

I had looked at the 3rd grade spelling books last year, they were just too easy. I then pulled up the 4th grade, again too easy. 5th grade was just perfect!  Megan is a very good speller, even though she doesn't know phonics!!  Once she sees the word, she knows how it is spelled. You also have to sound it out for her in order for her to know how to say it because she doesn't know how to sound out words.  I am not a fan of how she learned how to read and spell at her old elementary school! I am a phonics fan 100%!! But it's too late to reteach her phonics, so we are just working with what she knows!

She hasn't quite finished her book yet because she missed too many spelling words on her final test on Friday in order to make her teacher happy. She needs to redo her misspelled words before I will bring out the sixth grade book!  I told her I was going to retest her Friday afternoon, but never did it. It will be done first thing Monday morning.

http://www.christianbook.com/curriculum-spelling-workout-grade-6-homeschool/9781428432727/pd/843272?item_code=WW&netp_id=1111940&event=ESRCG&view=details

No comments:

Post a Comment