Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Urgent Care visit last night. :(

Urgent Care is one place we have not been for a very long time!! We had to go last night because we thought Christian broke his elbow.

He was sitting nicely at the dining room table playing playdoh like he has done a lot lately.  Apparently, he reached over to get a piece off the table and fell right off his chair! He fell to the right and after all the commotion, Megan and I ran in there and he was laying flat on his back on the hardwood floor. He seemed kind of shocked at first and then started to cry pretty hard. I tried to pick him up, but of course, I couldn't and really shouldn't anyway! I got him up on his feet and brought him into the kitchen and put him on my lap. I then asked him what hurt. It was his elbow! (Not another hurt elbow!!)

I asked him if he could move it and he could bend his arm up and down. Phew! I asked him to wiggle his fingers and he could. Phew!! Ok, I have determined myself that it is not broken. If it was broken, it was not obvious

We sat down to eat supper and he had no interest in eating at all. Luckily he is left handed and he hurt is right arm, so he did try to eat a few bites while his right arm just laid in his lap.  He said it hurt every time he moved it.  You could also tell he was a little lethargic, his eyes were drooping and he had the energy knocked out of him!  He was crying on and off, it was soooo sad.

After a little bit of this, he said, "Can we go watch TV?' I said, "Of course we can!" So we walked into the living room and turned on "American Ninja Warrior." He finally let me put some ice on it too at that point. 

Matt was gone at a meeting during this time, so I texted him and told him what was going on.  He told me to give it another 15 minutes or so and see how he was. It had already been about 15 minutes since he fell and he wasn't getting any better.  In the back of my head, I just wanted to take him in and get it x-rayed. 

As I was putting the phone down, I accidently hit his elbow since he was on my lap and he started to cry again.  I let him sit there a little bit longer and finally just called Matt and said we need to take him in.

He left his meeting and we met in the driveway. I helped Christian walk to the car and get in.  I had to loosen his seatbelts all the way to get his arm in without bending in, it seemed to be hurting worse as time went on.  I gave him his ice pack and once Matt got home, we headed over to urgent care.

We got checked in over there and luckily, we were the only ones in the waiting room.  We got called back right away and went through a couple of nurses before a PA came in.  We told her what had happened and she examined his elbow/ arm pretty thoroughly.  The final conclusion was that he could not straighten his arm or bend it all the way. His elbow hurt right on the corner.  Nothing else hurt.  She thought that maybe there was a fracture somewhere in there and we needed to do some x-rays.

She also checked him for a concussion. I wasn't quite sure if he hit his head, but he got lethargic pretty fast. She went through a battery of neurological tests and he passed them all, so she said to just watch him.

During this time, they also brought in some Advil, which really helped his spirits!

They went off and did x-rays and we are so thankful that the doctors did not see anything broken on the x-rays.  They just concluded that he had fluid on his elbow and swelling and he must have just hit it pretty hard! I would agree, I don't think I have ever seen him so sad in my life. And he is a really tough kid!

The nurse came back in and went over discharge papers. They said the radiologist will read the x-rays again in the morning and if they see anything, they will give us a call.  If not, we are just supposed to rest his arm (dig out Megan's sling from when she broke her arm at age 5) for a couple of days. If it's not better by Friday, we need to call our pediatrician and get him back in.

When we left, he was back to his normal self, thanks to the Advil! We got home about 9:30 and got everybody in bed. Christian slept on the floor beside my bed last night so we could watch him, but he didn't have any problems. 

Hopefully this arm will heal up in a day or two and he can get back to being his active self! Until then, we cannot take part in swimming lessons today and probably gymnastics on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment