Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Swimming Lessons Test and problems at the gym

We have swimming lessons for all three children every Wednesday.  Christian is in level 1, Courtney is in level 4, and Megan is in level 5.  Today is week 7 out of 8 and it was testing day.  I guess they did testing today and next week is a "fun" day. (Honestly, I don't need them to have a "fun" day, just teach them one more day!)

Anyway, as I was sitting there watching swimming lessons, I was not too happy with what was going on. Apparently testing only took about 10 minutes and the rest of the time was left to mess around.  I have not been 100% pleased with Megan and Courtney's teacher this summer. They have had the same teacher and she taught from the side of the pool, rarely got in, wouldn't watch the kids, not correct strokes, etc.  Today was not much different.  After they got done testing, I saw her get her cell phone and with a smile on her face, she got into the water. For the last 15-20 minutes, she took pictures of the class with a cell phone. They were underwater, above water, about anything. She even took some videos.

I looked at another mom who had a daughter in Megan's class and I said, "What do you think of this teacher taking pictures during swimming lessons??" Her reply was, "Not a very productive use of time." Neither one of us were too happy. We just let it go and let the class finish.

Courtney had her class next and the same thing happened! Pretty soon I saw an older swimming teacher walk by who I have talked to before about this certain teacher and her not so good teaching skills. I asked her if Courtney's teacher should be taking pictures of them in the water or if she knew what was going on.  She went to investigate! She found out that the teacher just wanted to try out her new camera case and apparently she wanted to post the pictures on the gym's website. This caused this older lady AND the lady in charge of the aquatics department to go talk to this teacher and say that if she wanted to post pictures of the students, she needed to get all the parents' permission beforehand. This girl had no idea that she had to do this, she was just going to post them!

After Courtney's lessons were over, I went in to ask if she passed and this teacher said, "Were you the parent that was concerned about me taking pictures?" I replied that there were a few of us concerned about what she was doing and what exactly were going to come of the pictures.  The teacher reassured me that she was not going to post them anymore and that she was going to delete them when she got home. I guess that made me feel a little better, but I am still not happy that she spent 15 minutes taking pictures during swimming lessons. I am sure glad swimming lessons are free with my membership at the gym!

When Courtney's lessons were over, it was Christian's turn. At the same time as Christian's, Megan's good friend had her lessons.  This same teacher teaches Megan's friend for level 6.  Their goal today was to swim 500 meters and when they achieved that, they would pass.  I sat in the lobby again and watched this class swim their 500 along with watching Christian.  They swam and when they were done, this same teacher, who was taking pictures during my girls' classes, walked out into the hallway and left the three students in the pool unsupervised (except for the lifeguard who was on the other end of the pool.) As she was walking out, the head of aquatics saw her and asked her what she was doing out in the lobby and not in the pool area.  Her reply was, "I am going to get the students some water."  The head of aquatics replied, "You can't leave your students unsupervised. You get back to the pool, I will get them some water."  The teacher's reply was, "The lifeguard was supervising them."  I just shook my head, she has a lot to learn!!

Again, after lunch, our family and this same family went swimming in the indoor pool.  We were the only ones in there and when we started, the lifeguard was on his stand like he should be.  Soon, I realized that he was not there anymore, but he had moved himself over to the hot tub and was sitting on the edge.  About five minutes later, I look over and he is IN the hot tub! This guy was supposed to be lifeguarding!! How can you see if anybody is drowning or even rescue somebody when you can't even see them?? I looked at my friend and asked her if I should say something. She shrugged her shoulders, so I took the initiative myself.  I went out to the lobby and tried to find any employee I could. Luckily, I found the head manager himself and showed him that the lifeguard was IN the hot tub  an not where he was supposed to be! He could hardly believe it!  Another guy who works for the gym went into the pool and told the lifeguard he had to get out of the hot tub and back on his lifeguard stand!!

I am not afraid to say anything in any of these situations.  I have been a lifeguard and I know that it can be a boring job, but yet it is a very important job.  I have also taught lessons and have been approached by parents before.  I hope both of these young people learned from their mistakes today and it will help them do their jobs better in the future!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment