Saturday, April 26, 2014

This new diet is HARD!!

Can I just say that I am having a hard time on my new food restrictions! It is almost harder than the first time I did this!  I have been thinking about this for about a week and watching what I have been eating, but it is getting very frustrating!

1.  My first challenge is to battle my yeast problem. This was a 3 on my allergy test, so that means I need to do everything to stop eating any yeast or anything that feeds yeast. This is easier said than done!!

The problem now is that I need to take out ALL sugar-  this does not just include "table sugar", but also anything like sugar or artificial sugar.  This does include all high fructose corn syrup (which I had taken out when I was off of corn for awhile), real maple syrup, honey (which showed up on my allergy tests), brown sugar, and all sorts of organic sugar. All I am left with is stevia and that is super-hard to cook with!! And honestly, it doesn't have that "sweet" factor! (good bye cereal, brown sugar on oatmeal, sugar in baked goods, etc.)

Not only do I need to take out sugar, I also have to take out anything with vinegar because it is fermented with yeast.  This includes ketchup, mustard, any salad dressing, and any canned beans!!  (good bye sloppy joes, salads, canned beans that I use for chili, and baked beans)

Citric Acid is another one I am having trouble with in regards to yeast. It is in many canned tomatoes...good bye chili and spaghetti sauce. :(

Of course, fruit also includes natural sugar, so I have to take that out too. But some fruits have more sugar than others (bananas are really high), so maybe I can eat the low sugar fruits? My other problem is that some fruits are more susceptible to mold than others and I definitely need to avoid those. These would be the ones that might by moldy by the time you get home from the store, such as berries and grapes.  And we need to throw all fruit juices into this category! None for me...

I also have to say good-bye to dried fruit, such as raisins and craisins...again, too much sugar and since raisins come from grapes, they are susceptible to mold.

Another problem is sodium nitrate.  I'm not sure what is wrong with this, but I am assuming it has something to do with yeast. Good-bye lunch meat, bacon, ham and any other cured meat.

No pop either, which I didn't drink a lot of, but when I did, it was super good! (It is mostly made out of high fructose corn syrup anyway.)

I got the ok to go  back on cow's milk (my numbers went down), but unfortunately, I cannot have any cheese.  Apparently I shouldn't drink cow's milk either because of the lactose, which is the sugar in the milk.

I still need to keep peanuts out of my diet (moldy) and any baked goods that use baker's yeast. I haven't had any of these for about two years, so this is not a big change.

I need to continue to keep any gluten flours out of my diet. Again, I have not had gluten in about two years, but some how my numbers have gone UP, so I am getting it somewhere.  I need to be more diligent about buying "gluten-free" products.

One more item that I will probably need to cut out is my gluten-free crackers I buy at Sam's. I believe these contain soy sauce and I need to cut that out too. I don't have any here at the moment, so I will need to check the ingredients when I go to Sam's next.

2. In addition to all these foods, I should probably cut out the foods that came up as "ones" on my allergy test. These include cashews, cocoa, white fish, lemon, lettuce, green peas, peaches, pears, black pepper, sunflower (kind of oil used for potatoes chips), tomatoes, turkey, asparagus, beef, honey, and oranges.

Now if I didn't think this food diet would work, I totally wouldn't do it!!! What is there left to eat?? Do you see my struggle?? BUT I know it does work! My numbers went down on quite a lot of the foods that I have take out the last two years (chicken, cow's milk, eggs, garlic, and pork).  But they also went up on a lot of the foods that I have ate  a lot of the last two years!!! Some other ones stayed about the same.

So anyway, any thoughts for supper??? Veggies anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment