Friday, April 4, 2014

Making cookies during school!

I always love when one of my girls gets an assignment that they need to tell step-by-step instructions on how to do things. I always read it and do EXACTLY what it says. This usually ends in lots and lots of laughter and my children realizing that you really need to be specific when giving directions!

The other day, Megan had one of these assignments for English and she chose how to make cookies.  Her assignment was to write the directions out and then say them orally. When I assigned her this, I told her that I will do exactly what she said!

Yesterday she had the written part done, so I looked at it and then gave her notebook back to her, she now had to tell me step by step how to make cookies.

She told me to get out the mixer, plug it in, put the beater on (which I put on TOP of the mixer), and then she got to the first ingredient- butter.  She said, "Get a bowl out of the cupboard" Ok, "Get some butter out of the fridge." I opened up the fridge and took out a box of 4 sticks of butter and 2 other sticks.  Her next directions was, "Now throw the butter in the microwave." Ok!! So I threw everything in the microwave! Seriously!!! I don't even think she realized what she said at first until I was laughing so hard that I was crying! She soon figured it out that I had "thrown" the butter into the microwave! But she kept going! She said, "Ok, open up the microwave and take all the butter out except for one stick. Leave one stick in there." (Notice she did not tell me to unwrap it or put it in a bowl.) She was just beginning to say, "Turn the microwave on" when Matt came upstairs....and yes, I was going to turn the microwave on with the butter still in it's wrapping! It's what she told me to do. :)

Matt  must have heard the commotion and opened the basement door at that moment and wanted to know what was going on, so I replayed "throwing" the butter into the microwave! He thought it was pretty funny too! By this time, Megan had realized that I needed to take the unwrapped butter out of the microwave, unwrap it, put the butter in a bowl, and THEN put it back in the microwave!  She then gave me the right directions and we successfully softened the butter!

Everything else went pretty smoothly. I wouldn't always fill the measuring spoons/ cups up all the way because she didn't say to, but once she realized what I was doing, she corrected herself. 

In the end, I made a successful batch of cookies that I cannot even eat! (they have wheat, eggs, and milk chocolate in them!) 

This is what makes homeschooling so much fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment