Sunday, July 29, 2012

New Camera- finally!

About 6 weeks ago, we were at a wedding and I gave Christian my camera to hold. Guess what he did? He dropped it! Not only once, but twice.  A little bit later, I went to go take a picture and it was all blurry. He broke my camera!  (This is our 3rd camera since we had Megan.)

Since we have been through so many cameras and I actually broke #2 and I was in possession of #3 when it got broke, I felt I should use some of my piano money to buy a new one.

Last weekend (a month after I broke mine and missed many, many cute kid moments!), we went to a local camera store because somebody had suggested a specific camera and where we should buy it. It was an Olympus shockproof and waterproof camera. Perfect! I can drop it from 5 feet and it won't break- I love the concept!

We went over the camera store, but after looking at the Olympus, I wasn't sold. Instead we bought a Fuji XP 100, it was also shockproof and waterproof.  We got the camera home and then realized we could've bought it for $100 cheaper online! So the next day, Matt took it back.  After reading some reviews online, we also realized it didn't stay waterproof very well and it didn't take very good pictures.

Since we have always had good luck with canons, I started looking at the shockproof/ waterproof canon cameras online. These were a little bit more money, but canons always worked great for us. The reviews said the pictures were fine on these cameras, but the buttons were put in odd places and it was hard to hold and take pictures.

Yesterday, we went to Nebraska Furniture Mart to look at them again.  We looked at the canons and the fuji and there was a $75 difference, so we settled back on the Fuji.  The canon was hard to zoom and take pictures, the buttons were in odd places!  We found a salesman and asked if he could price match it from Sam's, so as he was looking on Sam's website for the price, I asked him his opinion of the camera. Somehow it came up in the conversation that we didn't really want the camera because of the waterproof capabilities, we just wanted something that my two year old could drop and not break.

He then mentioned something that made us change gears.  He said that we should consider buying a regular point and shoot camera and buy accidental coverage on it.  He also mentioned that the waterproof cameras don't have very good pictures (which I noticed) because there is extra thick glass on the lens so it can withstand the pressure of water.  We don't need that!

So we start over. He showed us the regular point and shoot cameras and how much better the picture quality was on them. I was sold!  I was also looking for a camera that didn't need time to focus before taking a picture.  I finally settled on a Sony with four year accidental coverage! I think I am finally set with a new camera! And if my two year old drops it, I can call Nebraska Furniture Mart and they will fix it for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment