Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July- what I like and dislike

Let's just start out by saying that the 4th of July is probably one of my least favorite holidays, but one of the most important holidays in our country. Here is why!

Things I do not like about the 4th of July:
1. The noise!!! I do not like loud noises AT ALL. I actually still plug my ears! But now I have to plug Christian's, so I will sacrifice my hearing for his. He will take my hand and put it over his ears and say, "more, more."
2. People don't start shooting off fireworks until 10 pm, right when I want to go to bed, for at least 4 nights before the actual 4th of July!!
3. They usually don't end until about 11.
4.  I know it's legal in Omaha now, but really? How much money is being blown up, just in our neighborhood??
5. I think if the neighbors are going to shoot super loud ones right in front of your house, they should at least invite you over (since nobody is going to go to sleep anyway!)
6.  The trash is all over the place! Why are YOUR burnt up fireworks in MY yard?
7.  On the night before the 4th, do you need to start shooting fireworks off at 8 pm rather than 10? And continue for the next 3 hours??
8.  I put Christian to bed last night at 8:30 like usual and since the neighbors were shooting them off right in front of his window, he was scared! Poor thing, I went into his bedroom after a little while to check on him and he was curled up and shaking, he was scared so bad!
I ended up holding him because he wouldn't let me put him down. He finally crashed at 10:45 on my lap, in front of the TV!! Don't forget for 2 hours I not only held the young man, but also his stuffed frog and two blankets!!
I remember when we first moved into this house, the neighbors did the same thing and Courtney wouldn't sleep in her bed for about a month.
I know it's legal and people can do what they want and I guess I can live with it for a couple nights out of the year, but I wish they would come over and deal with the children at night and then again in the morning when they are cranky because they didn't have enough sleep!
PS It's not just our neighbors across the street, it's our whole neighborhood!
9.  I wish people would sit back and realize WHY we shoot of fireworks and celebrate. This holiday is about as bad as Christmas/ Easter. We have commercialized it so much that we forget the true meaning.  Do you know how big of deal it was that our founders wrote the Declaration of Independence and split off from England? HUGE!! This is what led to the Revolutionary War and the creation of the United States of America! Can we say, "I'm proud to be an American??"
10. Fireworks are dangerous. I saw a neighbor get hit in the head last night with a firework that flew crazy and what about those lanterns that you light and then let them float away? What if those landed on a house? And started a fire? Growing up on the farm, we always had plenty of room to light fireworks and we were always a long ways away, but here in town, you only have the street.  That is not much room to get back and be safe.

Things I like:
1. My girls can watch a fireworks show from their bedroom window. (I don't care if they are up late, but just not sooo late)
2.  A time to get together with family and friends.
3.  We get to celebrate our country! No other country gets to celebrate the 4th of July!!
4.  The fireworks are pretty.
5.  Matt gets a day off of work.
6. I LOVE seeing flags everywhere!!

No comments:

Post a Comment