Monday, March 29, 2010

30 Week Appointment

I went to my 30 week appointment last week and gained a lot of information! I saw a different midwife than the previous two times and I wanted to see what her opinion was on a variety of things.

Weight- I gained another 3 pounds(up to 26 so far) and I asked my midwife what she thought. She just noticed that I would gain a little, then a lot, then a little, then a lot. She made it seem like I was fine. She said my goal weight gain should be between 25-35 pounds, so I think I'm right on track. She also mentioned a few things I could do to not gain as much, those were to drink skim milk instead of 1% and don't eat oranges/ bananas because they are full of carbohydrates.

Glucose Test- At 28 weeks, I took my glucose test and passed. At this appointment, we went over my numbers. Normal glucose numbers are between 80-100, mine were at 71. My midwife said that this makes me more susceptible to hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. I was not surprised! I have been having trouble with low blood sugar this whole pregnancy (pretty much my entire life), so this was not new news to me, nobody had ever confirmed it before. She said to just make sure I am eating every couple of hours.

Measurement- I measured the same as I did two weeks ago- 30 cm, so my baby is right on track. She thought it would be another 8 or 8 1/2 pound baby, I can do that!

Platelets- I have a doctor appointment this afternoon to see my hematologist. My platelets at 28 weeks were 106K and at 29 weeks, they were 107K. She said they don't like them below 100K and the midwives just want to make sure that somebody knows about my platelet count, like a hematologist. She said they can do short-term steroids (prednisone) or give me platelets at delivery time, but this would be up to the hematologist. She also mentioned that I may not be a good candidate for an epidural (I don't plan on getting one anyway) because your platelets need to be above 100K or you can bleed in your spinal column. I at least liked having the option of drugs or not!

Iron- Usually my iron levels are low, but this time they were normal. Yay!

Baby's movements and heartbeat were good also!

I have my 32 week appointment in two weeks, I am really eager to start getting baby boy's room put together, but we are still working on the basement. I am hoping to get pictures posted soon of the progress. Matt is working hard and the bathroom is almost done, next job is the office!

No comments:

Post a Comment