Monday, September 16, 2013

Back in Time, again. Thursday, September 12, 2013 - Visit to the Statue of Liberty (first half of the day)

This was to be our first day in New York City, but we didn’t have a clear plan yet.  I was going to see the Statue of Liberty one way or another, but there were only  tickets available at 9,10,11,12, and 1 pm online.  My problem was that Matt usually worked until about 12, then we had lunch, and then  we would be ready to leave.  (This is how it worked when we were in Boston.)  We also knew that it was about an hour ride to Grand Central Station in New York City and then another 20 minutes to the nearest subway station. How was this going to work out??

Matt had also told me that he had a meeting from 12-1, so I wasn’t really set on seeing the Statue of Liberty on Thursday.  I had just planned on doing some other things in New York City and then definitely seeing it on Friday!
I am so thankful that plans can change!  Matt came out of his “office” about 9:30 and said that he got his meeting changed from 12-1 to 10-11 and that we could see the Statue of Liberty today. WHAT?? I said, “Really, so I can go ahead and buy tickets??”  He replied with, “Yes, go ahead. I changed my meeting so we could go early.” 

It took a little bit for this to sink in and then once it did, I started to get excited and sat down and ordered 1 pm tickets to catch the ferry to the Statue of Liberty!!
The next task was to figure out train rides.  I found online that the train left at 11:10 (arrived 12:10 or so)from our station and also from 11:30 (arrived 12:32).  From here, we would need to catch the green line subway to Bowling Green station, go through Battery park, pick up our Statue of Liberty tickets, and get on the ferry at 1. 
Matt came out of his office about 10:45 and asked if we were ready to go. Of course we weren’t!  I think we pulled out about 11. (I figured we would get lunch in New York City)  The train station was about a mile away, but once we got there, we couldn’t find a place to park! There were hundreds and hundreds of cars there from the people that commuted to New York City everyday!
After finally realizing that we were not going to make the 11:10 train, our adrenaline slowed down   and we found the overfill parking lot.  We parked, paid our $9 fee for parking, and found our way to the train station. 
Once in the train station, we had to buy tickets.  Because I had done some research, I knew that we needed to go to Grand Central Station and since it was off-peak hours, Matt and I rode for $3 less than usual and each kid rode for $1! I think it was around $21 to ride the train.
We got on the train and off we went! (Courtney took this picture.)


After a very pleasant train ride and one that followed the Hudson River all the way in, we arrived at our stop.  We got out and looked for the exit signs.  From here, we emerged into this HUGE train station! We had no idea where we were and now we had 28 minutes to get to the ferry!

Matt and I put our thinking caps on and looked around.  We knew we had to catch the green line and we also knew that this was the #4 and #5 line.  Once we spotted the green line and the arrow pointing the way, we took off! 
But before we could ride the subway, we had to buy more tickets.  We found a machine and started buying adult tickets.  In Boston, children rode for free and after asking an attendant, we found out that only children under 48 inches rode for free.  We said Courtney and Christian were under 48 inches! We bought three tickets. 
Next task was finding the trains and figuring out which way to go.  Unlike Boston, New York only had a few subway maps in their stations.  We figured out which way we needed to go and got on a train.  (15 minutes now to ferry departure time)  It was also labeled the “express” train, so Matt was afraid that it was not going to stop anywhere except the end station.  We rode this train for a few stops but since we didn’t quite know where our stop was, we got off.  Matt was still worried about the “express” thing, so we wanted to double check. 
We looked all around the subway lines for a map, but saw nothing, so we went up the escalators to find something. Still nothing! Eventually I found a security guard and asked him how many more stops until Bowling Green.  He said, “Oh, it’s another 3 or 4 stops yet.” I also asked him about the express train and he said it still stops at every station. Ok, worries were put aside!
We turned around and headed back down the escalator to wait for the next train.  7 minutes yet! It is almost 1 pm!  Eventually it came and we got on.  We wait and sure enough, Bowling Green was four stops down the line. 
Once we got off this train, we had to get through Battery Park and pick up our tickets at a kiosk.  I was so worried we were going to miss the ferry!
We got out on to the street and after scanning around really fast, I figured out where we need to go and took off running.  I could see the ferry in the river and it looked like it is moving! It is 1:10, run, run!! In the middle of this, I am scanning the horizon and I see the STATUE OF LIBERTY!!!
We find the place to pick up tickets and I ask her if we missed the ferry and she replied with, “Oh no, you can just catch the next one. They run every 15 minutes.” WHAT?? There are more that leave after 1 pm!!! Why didn’t they say that on their website??
I start to relax and I enjoy my ticket to the Statue of Liberty! I have waited many, many years for this moment!!

Next thing I know, it starts to downpour! NOOOO!  We all run for shelter and it is here that I get my first glimpse of the New York City skyline.  After the rain let up a little bit, Matt and I headed for the ferry, except we got in the wrong line at first.  Once we figured out where we were to be, we headed towards the right ship!


We eventually got on the ferry and I immediately ran up to the top deck to see everything I could and  to take many, many pictures!
I took many pictures of the Statue of Liberty, of the amazing New York City skyline, and of course my family. J

 

 

Once we docked, we were instructed to pick up our audio tours from the booth and we were free to do a self-guided tour.  We all got these audio things that hung around our neck and we could push the numbers on them as indicated around the monument.  They even gave Christian one!  (In my honest opinion, how is a mom supposed to have a purse, push a stroller, and hold this thing up to her ear?? I barely used mine!) The girls listened to theirs quite a lot! (They are attached to the green necklaces around their necks.)
 
We went to the front of the statue and looked at Lady Liberty for awhile and course, took some more pictures.
 
After awhile, we continued on.  With our admission, we also got to go through the museum and go to the top of the pedestal.  Remember tickets to the crown were all sold out??  But in order to get to the museum, we had to check Christian’s stoller, which wasn’t a big deal, but then we had to go through another set of security guards.  Of course they ask me, “Do you have any other drinks or food in your purse beside water?”  Hmmm, do I lie or tell the truth? I vote for the later.  “Yes, I have snacks in my purse.”  The security personnel said, “ I’m sorry, but you cannot take those into the museum with you.  You may sit out here and eat them or rent a locker for $2.”  What??
We all turned around and walked out. We had to decide what to do with my four small boxes of raisins, some cashews, a couple packages of fruit snacks. that I had stashed in my purse (remember, we haven’t had lunch yet.)  I gave the packages of fruit snacks to the kids and I came up with the idea that we would ask the ladies in the gift shop if I could just stick them in my stroller.  Luckily, they said I could. Problem solved!!
Next stop: the museum!  We went through it and they had some pretty fun exhibits like the different stautes that were first proposed, how they made the actual statue, and a section on immigrants and how they felt when they saw the statue for the first time.
Here is a model of Lady Liberty's foot!

 
After we went through the museum, our next step was to climb the 196 steps to the top of the pedestal.  Once we got to the top, we had a great view of the New York City skyline! Wow!

 
We walked around the pedestal once and then headed back inside to go back down the steps.
While we were inside, there were some park rangers in there and they were asking us where we were from.  We mentioned we were from Nebraska.  There was another family in there and they said, “Did you say you were from Nebraska? We are too!” It ended up that they also live in Millard! We stood there talking for quite a long time!
Then we headed back downstairs and explored the grounds some more and of course, took some more pictures.
 
It was around 3:45 and we decided that it was time to head back to the mainland. Oh, and have we ate lunch yet?? I don’t think we have!  We were the first ones in line to get on the ferry to get back to New York City.
 
Once we arrived back at the mainland, Matt and I realized we did not have a clue where we were going!  We had had specific instructions to get to the Statue of Liberty, but we had no idea where anything else was! We wondered around aimlessly in Battery Park for awhile before coming up with a plan.  We were in such a rush to get to the Statue of Liberty in the morning that we didn't even stop to get a map of New York City!
Good thing there are cell phones and McDonalds! We thought you can’t go wrong with McDonalds and at this point, we didn’t care where we ate.  Matt found the nearest Mcdonalds was about .8 miles away and he had directions on his phone, so we took off walking. Along the way though, I spotted a TGI Fridays.  I suggested to Matt that we just go there. I wanted something better than McDonalds and I really wanted to sit down for awhile.  He agreed, so about 4:30, we stopped in there and had lunch.

To be continued...I'm going to bed. :)

 

 

1 comment:

  1. So excited to read all of this! Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete