Sunday, August 21, 2011

Preparation!

I am going to start 1/2 time homeschooling tomorrow. I think Megan is ready to get started and so am I! I am going to take one days worth of lessons and split it up between two days for the next two weeks or so. Kind of start us slow. This way, when we are ready to go full force the week of September 6th, we'll be prepared. I also want to get homeschooling established at home before we start schooling outside of the home.

Subjects ready to go:

Handwriting- found one of megan's old handwriting books that she got a couple of years ago. I divided the book into lessons, ripped the pages out of the book (thought it would be too hard to practice in the book), 3 hold punched them, and put them all in a binder.

Math- have 2 workbooks and teacher manual. Have supplies I need for first couple of days.

Bible, language arts, reading, world history, spelling- this is one complete package with Sonlight curriculum, so lessons are all ready for me. I am trying to get a timeline put together and figures copied so she can put them on her timelines as we study them. This is what I am using for a timeline: http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/timeline.html I don't have enough wall space to put one around the room, but I think this will do. I might make a little one to put up on the wall, just so Megan can see how BC and AD work.

For every chapter book we read together, there are new vocabulary words and questions in the teacher's guide. I want to type these out so Megan can see them while we read. (Or is this MY learning style coming out??). I need to look at what we're doing tomorrow.

Science- Have the book, but haven't done lesson plans yet. Not sure if we're going to do science everyday, once a week, or twice a week. The book only has 150 pages, so it won't take us long. I might have to do some supplementing or get another book.

Health- Same as science. Need to do lesson plans. These two are traditional textbook format, they will work, but not what I envisioned. I kind of wish I would've ordered Sonlight for science, but I didn't. I didn't want to get in over my head the first year with everything, but this almost looks like it's too little.

Art- taking up at Aldrich!

Music- Haven't put it into the schedule yet. I would like to do music once/ twice a week. Not sure if we're just going to learn piano or if I should get some music curriculum. The class at Aldrich is not going to work out for now.

PE- I think ballet counts as PE. :) No, really, I would like to get her into a PE class that is with other kids and structured. The PE class at Prarie Life is at 1 pm, which is not so ideal, but they do have "rec club" in the evening and on Saturdays. This is the same as what they do in the homeschool PE class. Maybe I can take her to those.


No comments:

Post a Comment