Sunday, August 7, 2011

Home Again

We got home tonight about 9:30 from our second camping trip in the last two weeks.

This time, we spent the last 3 days camping in Scribner at the Dodge County Fair. I always enjoyed the fair growing up and when I heard you could camp there, I wanted to right away! The campgrounds are new and right on the fairgrounds, so it sounded fun to me.

In theory, it was fun, but I really need to say that they need more family friendly activities during the day. You can only walk through the 4-H building so many times, you can only walk through the goat and sheep barn so many times. And really, am I going to pay $4 for my daughter to ride a rickety old carousel.?No. And there is no way I am paying $20 for a daily pass when I just paid $30 to get into Adventureland!

I will admit though, the nights were full of activity. We caught the end of the truck/ tractor pull on Thursday night. We only got in at 10 pm (yes, 10 pm) when they stopped taking tickets. Tickets were $15 a piece! Crazy for a small town! We ended up being up until 11:30 that night. It was fun, but late. Friday night we spent the night at my parents' house and then last night, we paid $10 a person to get into the demolition derby! I love demo derbies! Too bad my girls don't. They said the tractor pull was more fun and were already complaining 15 minutes into it.

Lucky for my girls, a huge storm was blowing our way in the middle of the derby and I kind of freaked out and got my kids into cover. I saw dark clouds and lighting all over and did not want to be out there with 3 kids. We went and got supper and by that time, it blew over. I was scared we were going to be blown away and not to mention that Dell was in our camper and that could've blown over too! Praise God that it passed us and we just got a few sprinkles!

After the demo derby, they had the Tuff Trucks. I had never seen this before, but the point is to flip your car on it's side. The track officials set up an obstacle course for these cars and they go through it as fast as they can. It was great!! A little concerning for me when these cars looked like they were going to flip on the side, but that just made the crowd roar louder! Another late night, but we handled it.

We are home now and it's 82 degrees in our house and humid!! The camper is all unpacked- again- and I am ready to stay home for awhile. Our next camping trip is in 3 weeks, so we're not sure it the camper is going to stay in our driveway or not.

I hope my kids appreciated the country life. It is a completely different culture than the city of Omaha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment