Saturday, December 22, 2012

Oh Ice cream, how I have missed you!!

During my free time lately, I have been cleaning out a few of our cupboards. Yesterday I found a package of ice cream mix to go with an ice cream maker we have.  I immediately thought that it would contain milk, so I was going to give it to my brother (yes, Shawn, you!), but before I gave it away, I thought I would read the ingredients.  I about fell over- there was no milk in it at all! Just a bunch of sugar!!! I could hardly believe it!  You had to add 4 cups of milk to make the ice cream, but I could easily use rice milk, right??

The girls wanted to know what I was looking at and I said it was an ice cream mix to make in an ice cream machine. I mentioned that we have one downstairs and they took off to go find it! With a little help from Matt, they brought it up and were immediately trying to open it!  Let's just say it was still sealed with tape from when we moved.

We got it open and I thought, "Can I do this? Will this really make good ice cream?" But I put the mix in, poured the milk in, put the machine together, dumped in ice and rock salt, and plugged it in. Yes, it works!

The next mystery was to see if it really made ice cream with the rice milk.  I was pretty sure it would since rice milk works with everything else.  About an hour later, the machine stopped and I opened it up.  I tasted the ice cream and it was WONDERFUL!!! I was thrilled!  I went off dairy at this time last year- Christmas Day- so I have not had ice cream in about a year and if you know me, you know that ice cream is one of my favorite foods!!

I savored every bit of my ice cream, it was so good! Even Matt thought it was good...

I then went online to see if I could buy more packets of Rival Ice Cream mix and you can! How awesome is that??

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is wonderful because I have an idea for Christmas and wasn't sure how I could pull this off but if you will bring some of your ice cream to our celebration we can all have some fun!!! YIPEE!!!! Grandma Lu is smiling!

    ReplyDelete