Friday, December 28, 2012

Much Accomplished!

I was a busy-beaver yesterday.  We had nothing to do and I didn't really want to take the kids anywhere because Christian was still a little sick the night before, so I decided we would clean the upstairs. It has been a disaster for awhile and it was a good day to get it done!

The girls had cleaned their room about a week ago, but it needed another good cleaning. They put in some "Adventures in Odyssey" and got to work. Honestly, it was mostly Courtney! Surprise, surprise!

I set to work in my room.  I started with my bathroom, cleaned all the usual things, vacuumed the floor, scrubbed the toilet, etc, etc. Then I started in my master closet. This is where I had been hiding and wrapping Christmas presents, so I had to get all that stuff put away along with all the Amazon boxes! I also had clothes that needed to be hung up. With a little help from Christian, I got that accomplished!

Then it was onto my bedroom. Now my bedroom was very bad.  For about the last two weeks, whenever I had needed a laundry basket, I would take the clean clothes that were in that needed basket, dump them out onto my floor, and go refill that basket with more clean clothes. Let's say that when you have at least five baskets of clean clothes dumped on the floor, you have a HUGE pile of laundry that needs to be put away. You know it's bad when you say to your kids, " You have clean clothes, just go look on my floor!"  Yes, bad, I know. 

I also had other parts of my floor covered. When I clean downstairs, I usually take all the items that need to go upstairs and again, when I need that basket, I dump the items out onto my floor. I have a bad habit, don't I? So in front of both of our dressers, we had piles of stuff. Stuff that goes in the playroom, the girls' bedroom, Christian's room, our bathroom, just a little bit of everything.  I had to sit down and sort through all this stuff!  I found some things I had been missing, but I got to the bottom of the piles and got everything in new baskets. :)  It is amazing that there was carpet underneath there!  Even Matt said this morning, "wow, I can walk right up my dresser now!" Yes, you can and hopefully it will stay that way for awhile.   After a little vacuuming, the bedroom was clean!

Next up was the hallway. Same story, second verse.  Again, I got out my baskets and by this time, things were going into four main baskets. 1. Girls' bedroom or playroom  2. Open Door Mission 3. Back downstairs  4. Trash can   I can't tell you how many times I filled up our little trash cans yesterday!  There were game and puzzle pieces in the hallway, legos, Christian's cars, etc. After awhile, I got this floor cleared too!

Next up was Christian's room. His room was pretty clean, but I finished cleaning it, vacuumed it, and we were done. I even put away his changing pad and his diaper pail. It kind of made me sad, but he is pretty good at going potty, so I think we are done with those items. I also put his baby gate in the attic.

Finally, I went into the girls' bedroom, where they had been cleaning/ playing all afternoon.  They were about 90% there, so I helped them finish it up.  I pulled out the dressers and had Courtney get everything from behind it. We are missing a library book, so I am hoping that it is stashed under a dresser somewhere. I did pull one out, but not the missing one. Courtney had already cleaned under her bed, so that was done. I vacuumed the room and it looked better!

I then mentioned to the girls if they wanted to take their Dora and Princess stickers off their walls and put their new ones up that we had bought awhile back. They did! Again, it was a little sad to see Dora and Princess go, but they are both past those stages. Megan had bought puppy and kitty stickers and Courtney had bought butterflies, these both fit the girls so much better! Once these were up, I declared my cleaning day done! Plus it was 6 pm and time for supper!

Today we have to get to the library and do a couple of errands.

Maybe Saturday we will get to the playroom and the girls' bathroom. Yikes!

Did I mention that we still haven't cleaned up the mess from opening presents on Christmas Eve?? And we still need to put the tree away and all the other Christmas decorations. Hopefully we can get this all done before we get school started again.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, a job accomplished for sure!!! Anxious to see the new stickers!!! Grandma Lu

    ReplyDelete