Tuesday, December 11, 2012

New Schedule

I have been thinking of a new school schedule to start after Christmas.  We are running into a few problems that are causing school to take longer than usual.

1.  My lack of being able to get up in the morning and get started before 9:15 or even 9:30.
2.  Too many breaks.
3.  Too many interruptions.
4. Kids don't have time to do homework at night.
5.  I am not getting all the subjects covered that I want to cover.
6.  We are spending too much time on subjects.

My proposal is that I am going to make it more like a school day. We will do certain subjects from one time to another and if we don't get done, we will have to move on anyway.

If I limit my time on certain subjects, then I can add subjects in that I want to cover, but haven't been able to get to this semester very well (art, health, German, music).

I am going to work with Megan in the morning instead of the afternoon, then she has the afternoon to do her homework while I work with Courtney.

I am just going to be more strict about the breaks. :)  Maybe not allow the kids to leave the kitchen while we switch books between subjects and when the new books are on the table, they need to be back in their chairs and ready to go.

Speaking of ready to go, no getting water, no getting ice, and no bathroom breaks in the middle of class, no running upstairs to get something. Drives me nuts!!

I think I may need to do something to entertain Christian more. When I am working with both kids, he interrupts quite often because he has nobody to play with! maybe Thomas the Train would help. :)

Megan and I both love her read-aloud, but this takes a huge amount of time. I think that once school is done and Megan has her homework done, we can read her book. I want this to be an incentive. Leave this for the end of the day instead of in the middle.

Oh yes, really try to get out of bed earlier and get the kids up earlier! (But isn't that the joy of homeschooling- you can start whenever you want...)

I am going to put an excel spreadsheet together later with the new schedule.  I really hope it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment