Thursday, February 27, 2014

Who wants straight teeth??

My teeth have been on my mind a lot lately. I have been having a lot of jaw pain for about four years now and awhile ago found out I suffer from TMJ. But since that is such a broad term, an oral surgeon actually told me I had osteoarthritis in my right jaw and the cartilage is gone. I am bone on bone and I really try not to yawn because then I have to hear the cracking. :(

To cause all this damage, I really have two problems.  My first problem is my jaw, my bottom jaw is underdeveloped and my top jaw is too narrow. I have been to three orthodontists and they all told me to have surgery to have my jaw broke (both top and bottom jaw), so I went to an oral surgeon and he recommend AGAINST breaking my jaw. Ok, I will take your recommendation!

My other problem is that my teeth are terribly crooked and my teeth do not line up AT ALL!

Between the jaw trouble and the crooked teeth, no wonder my jaw bone is deteriorated and I have no cartilage left!

Since my oral surgeon does not want to do surgery, I figure I can at least straighten my teeth.  My dentist is recommending Invisalign and I am seriously thinking about it! Insurance will cover part of it along with a nice discount, so there is some left to pay, but I think we can handle it.

If I don't do something, the arthritis will only get worse, the pain will get worse, and eventually I will be unable to move my jaw. :(  And I am only 36....

As if my teeth troubles were not enough, I took Megan to the orthodontist today. I took her a year ago and h took pictures of her teeth and jaw and said that everything looked good so far.  I took her back again today and he  seemed to be more interested in how her new teeth were coming in.  She had thought she had lost 18 teeth, but come to find out, her count is off! She has really lost 19 and she already has her 12 year molars!  The orthodontist said, "She's way ahead of most kids her age!" She has always been early when it came to her teeth!  He wants us to come back in in 6 months and re-evaluate her.  By then, she should have lost that last baby tooth and all her permanent teeth will be in.  I really hope she does not have my trouble!!

No comments:

Post a Comment