Thursday, February 20, 2014

New recipes from old ones!

Someday, I might start a blog with all my recipes I have came up with the last year and a half! I have used many old favorites and have figured out how to replace milk, eggs, and gluten. Some have worked, some have not!!!

For instance, today I had some overripe bananas that I wanted to use, so I got out my tried and true banana muffin recipe.  I think I replaced about everything in it! The new thing I wanted to try is to replace sugar with honey and butter with coconut oil.

I have already learned how to use the coconut oil, so tonight I looked up how to use honey and it worked!!! 

I used gluten free flour instead of wheat flour, rice milk instead of cows milk, coconut oil instead of butter, honey instead of sugar, flax seed instead of the eggs, plus some xantham gum. It barely looks like the same recipe!! They all mixed up great and cooked up with no problem! You can't even tell there is honey or coconut oil in them!

Christian had also found a blueberry muffin recipe in a Dora/ Diego cookbook he found at the library and has been begging me for days to make them. We bought some blueberries yesterday, so those were also on the agenda today. Well, I tried to replace things in that recipe, I'm not sure if it worked out not. They are still in the oven! (Again, gluten free, flax seed, rice milk, coconut oil, and honey) I had to keep putting them back in because they weren't cooking, hmmm.

I would really like to make this homemade strawberry granola sometime, but it needs to sit in the oven for 3-4 hours to get crisp.  Maybe I will try this tomorrow. :)

http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2011/05/homemade-strawberry-granola.html

On a side note, I finally found some cauliflower for Megan yesterday at the grocery store. I might tried mashed cauliflower tonight.

http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-mashed-cauliflower-instead-of-mashed-potatoes-208857

1 comment:

  1. Let me know how the cauliflower comes out, I want to try that too!
    Grandma Lu

    ReplyDelete