Saturday, May 4, 2013

Saturday

Why have I woke up at 6:15 every day this week, including today?? 7:30 would be the best!

Matt always says I should get up and stop wasting my day away. I say it's a wonderful feeling to be wasting my day away! For however long I want, I don't have to deal with children, I don't have to look at the messy house, I can stay where I am and think my own thoughts! I love it!

There is no way I am cleaning my house before 10 am anyway! And what else would I do? Sit in front of the TV? Sorry Matt, I am not a morning person like you are! This is the only time I get peace and time to myself. Megan is always still up when I turn my light off at night.

A little bit of peace is nice because our day is packed already. It's crazy how busy our weekends have been lately. Today we have a graduation party at 1:30 and a birthday party tonight at 6.  My house is destroyed, so I don't see much time today to deal with that. (Seriously, I think a hurricane hit the living room, legos are spread from wall to wall and I STILL haven't dealt with the containers of summer clothes in my room!)  We have church tomorrow morning and then small group from 4-6 pm. And of course, we end every Sunday by watching an episode of "The Amazing Race."

 I was looking at our calendar and we are booked every weekend until July! Isn't that nuts?

May is a busy time for us anyway. We have four weeks of school left ( I really thought we had 3, but we are going to be on week 33 this week and we have 36 in a school year.)  We have Megan's dance recital on May 31st and a homeschool convention that same weekend.  A couple days after that, we are heading to Des Moines with some friends to go to Adventureland! Next up is Christian's birthday (our anniversary).  We are having his birthday party and celebrating Father's Day all on the same weekend. The plans go on and on...We also really want to take a big camping trip this year. Matt wants to be gone for at least two weeks, so we will see where that will fit in. Honestly, I think we should go somewhere in the fall when everybody else is back in school!

I am seriously thinking about doing school all summer. Not full-blown 100% like we have done over the school year, but doing some math and phonics twice a week.  We will definitely join the summer reading program so we will be reading everyday.  I am not doing this necessarily for Megan, but for Courtney.  It is always a challenge to get her back into the "school mode" on Monday after being off for three days. I don't think school comes as naturally to her as it does Megan.  I think if I let her off of school for three months, it might be a disaster in August when we go back. I think if I work with her a couple times a week over the summer and keep her in the habit of sitting down and learning, it might not be such a challenge.  I still want to have time to do all the fun summer things, but still keep thier minds engaged. Courtney has come such a long way this year!! I don't want to lose any of the progress we have made. And I was so worried about teaching her how to read!

I am also in the midst of getting things ordered for next year.  I think next year is going to look very similiar to this year except we're going to add a few things with Courtney. 

Science- Sonlight Grade 1 for both
Bible- Bob Jones University Bible, Grade 3 for both
History/ Geography- Sonlight  Core E (American history from 1850 to present time) for Megan, Courtney will listen in
Reading for Megan- Sonlight Advanced Readers that go along with Core E
Reading for Courtney- Books from the Library and Spectrum Grade 1 as a supplement, other "fun" books by Evan More
English- Rod and Staff English 2 for Courtney, Rod and Staff English 4 for Megan
Spelling- Spelling Workout (E for Megan, B for Courtney)
Writing- Spectrum Writing Grade 1 for Courtney,  Sonlight Core E Language Arts for Megan
Math- Horizons Grade 1 for Courtney and I think Horizons Grade 4 for Megan. ( I was thinking about switching to Saxon 54, but I think I am going to stay with Horizons.)
Phonics- We will continue to use Rod and Staff 1st grade phonics.

I think that is it! Of course, art, music, German, health will be thrown in whenever I can get to them. :)  And PE will be dance class and running around outside!!

No comments:

Post a Comment