Thursday, May 30, 2013

My Naturalist strikes again!

I swear Courtney is going to be a Naturalist someday. (somebody who studies the natural environment).

For awhile, I thought she would be an entomologist, which is somebody who studies bugs, but lately, her interests have expanded.

For example, last night, she brought me a mushroom she had picked in our yard and wanted me to tell her all about it. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about mushrooms! I told her what I could and said we needed to do some research.

I then showed her some old logs in our backyard that have mushrooms growing all over them, she thought those were neat! From here, we went on a mushroom hunt throughout our yard.

We ended up at a spot where we had cut down a tree a couple of years ago and found these things in the dirt. They looked like mushrooms, but we didn't quite know, so we dug them up. Courtney took them inside to show dad and he said to put them back! I still don't know what they were!

While we were looking at the ground, we noticed little ants, so I took a scoop and scooped up a little hole. Inside this hole were more ants with little white spots. Courtney said, "Look, ant eggs!" She was right! I told her to run inside to get her magnifying glasses so we could look at them closer. She ran in, but couldn't find them anywhere. We filled the hole back in and watched another pile of ants and eggs for awhile.

Very fascinating!

And what was Megan doing through all this? Just sitting back, she had no interest in this stuff at all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment