Monday, March 28, 2016

"But I love my braces!"

Poor Courtney had an appointment to get her braces off today, but she really didn't want them off. She loved her braces and didn't mind them at all.

But she can't wear her braces forever. Her teeth had moved to where they were supposed to be, and this is where they need to stay. (She got braces because she lost her canine teeth prematurely and her other teeth were moving over into that gap.)

Our appointment wasn't until 3 pm and all day, she was just kind of sad and worried. She always has some emotional trouble at the orthodontist. She wasn't worried today about her braces coming off, but she was more worried about taking the impressions for her retainer! I think she has cried every time that we have gone! Today was no different!

They called her back and her orthodontist checked her out. He said everything looked great and started to take the wires off. She only had four brackets on her front four teeth and a wire to the brackets on her back molars. Even though I went back with her, I couldn't quite tell what he was doing. I could tell Courtney was uncomfortable though and something hurt. She was cringing in the chair. All of the sudden, she sat up and her braces were gone, but she had plenty of tears in her eyes! I started crying too! She said that it hurt when he pulled them off. I think she was sad they were gone!

He let her get ahold of herself for a little bit, and then had her lean back to scrape the glue off. Eventually he said, "Why don't you go get a drink or brush your teeth? Then maybe my assistant can finish. She's nicer at this than I am!" I think he saw she was having a hard time.  He also told her to go ahead and take a look in the mirror.  I saw her open her mouth really quickly, look at her teeth, and hen shut it quick again.

In the meantime, the orthodontist switched over to Megan. I had taken her in today for an evaluation for our next step in regards to her teeth. It's been about six months since they took her palette expander off and we were hoping her teeth would have straightened out on their own. They didn't, so now she is on track to get a full set of braces. The orthodontist recommended that we wait until summer because he wanted to time it with her growth spurts. He said treatment was about 18 months, and they want treatment done about the same time they are done growing. So, here we go again! I need to talk to Matt though about money. We are still paying off our medical bills from last year!

As I am finishing up with Megan, I look back at Courtney and an assistant is scraping her glue off and she is doing well. After that, I see the assistant bring over the tray to do the impression for her retainer. Honestly, this is what she was so nervous about! She didn't mind getting her braces off, but she did NOT want to do another impression. Poor thing! She wasn't breathing through her nose while they were doing and the tears just started all over again! She was actually shaking during this part!!

When she was all done, they let her go clean up and get a drink again. She was not doing well with all this! I made an appointment to come back next week for her retainer and had gathered all the kids up. As we were heading out the door, the orthodontist and his assistants grabbed a crown out of a drawer that said, "Braces free" and they put it on Courtney! Then they proceeded to sing her a song about how she got her braces off today!! Oh man, this is the last thing Courtney needed at the moment! She was totally embarrassed and did not like it at all, but she put on a fake smile. We all took some pictures and then she said very quietly to me, "Can we go now??" in an irritated tone of voice.  She wanted out of there! (They also offered her some candy, which we both declined. I said I would go get her an ice cream cone!)

We walked out the door and Courtney was still crying. We all got in the car and I headed over to Wal.Mart. She said to me, "Can we just go home?" I said, "No, we have errands to do, you are just going to have to pull yourself together."

Once we got to Walmart, I had to nurse Micah, so I gave her a giftcard I had to McDonalds and said she could get some ice cream. She just looked at me with her red, splotchy face from crying and I said, "Do you want me to order it?" She just shook her head yes. I knew ice cream would work magic and it did!!


Look at that big smile!!

No comments:

Post a Comment