Friday, March 25, 2016

Overload of Ezcema!

 I have two children struggling with eczema right now and they are my two "m" children. :)


Megan has had it in her elbows, back of her knees and behind her shins for almost a year now. About a month ago, she started getting spots on her neck.  Back in December, I had her food tested and we did exactly what the doctor advised us to do, but it is only getting worse. Steroid cream does take it away, but it doesn't solve the problem. Along with the eczema, she has also been breaking out in hives when she showers.(She has been getting red spots for almost a year, I just didn't know they were hives until a couple of weeks ago!) I thought that this was from her shampoo, so I was trying all sorts of different shampoos and soaps. She has also had a hard time sleeping lately, and I was pretty sure that this was all related.

Finally, I took her into her doctor this last week. Now that I know we are dealing with hives and hives can turn into an anaphylactic reaction, I was more concerned. Her doctor knew we were dealing with eczema and asked us if we were following her food protocol and I said we were.  I said that they were still getting worse. She took a look at her spots and we talked some more and finally she said, "I have no idea what is going on with her! You stumped the doctor!" But after talking EVEN more, she finally concluded that Megan must have a virus, bacteria, or a parasite that she just can't fight off. The eczema is the result of this long-term microbe in her body. Eczema is usually a sign of some sort of inflammation inside the body.

She recommended some new things to try and these are quite challenging!

1.  Since yeast (Overgrowth of bad bacteria in body) causes eczema, her first recommendation to stop the yeast from growing. Sugar feeds yeast, so she told us to take Megan off ALL sugar or any food that converts to sugar for a couple of days. This includes any form of sugar, starches, fruit, etc.  We needed to starve the yeast and keep it from growing.

2.  Be super strict and not eat any foods off her allergy list. Since her body has built up antibodies to these foods, every time she eats something, her body needs to fight it. These defenses are taking away from fighting off the virus, bacteria, or parasite that is hanging around in her body.

3.  Take a microbial supplement that will kill off this microbe. She said we could do all kinds of testing to see what it was, but this should take care of it.

4. Take a probiotic to build up her good bacteria in her gut.

So pretty much we were hitting her immune system hard! And guess what? By the end of the first one, one of the spots in her elbow was almost gone!

She has really been good the last couple of days about only eating protein and vegetables. She has not had any starches or fruit OR anything on her food list! We have not been rotating our foods like we usually do, simply because there is nothing else she can eat! I went to the store tonight and bought more vegetables, even ones that we don't usually eat. It's time we tried them again.

She did have some strawberries today because they are really low in sugar. I know that she needs to eat from these other food groups, so I kept telling her that we were only going to do this a couple of days pretty hard and then we will have some foods in moderation.

With Megan taken care of, I then asked our doctor about Micah. He has had cradle cap for months now and this week, his eczema has gotten worse over the rest of his body, especially his face. His skin is so rough and red. :(

Our doctor asked if I was following his food plan and I said for the most part. She recommend that I take 100% of his foods out of my diet. (I was eating 1-2 a day.) She also though he was trying to fight too many things at once. He had a pretty bad cold this week, so his body was fighting that along with his teeth that are trying to break through. Even though his skin looks terrible, he is still a super happy kid!

I felt satisfied with these answers about my kids' health. I knew if I took them to a dermatologist or their pediatrician, they would have just given me steroid cream to push the rash back under the surface. I didn't want this, I wanted a cause for the eczema.  I believe we are getting to the bottom of their problems, now for their bodies to kick it into gear and fight it all off!



No comments:

Post a Comment