Sunday, May 11, 2014

Tornado Warning!

There was some major drama at our house tonight!

We were gone all day and we knew there was a storm coming, so we hurried home about 5 pm. 
As we were watching the news, it was looking a lot worse than normal. They were talking about tornadoes, hail, and lots and lots of rain.  I fed my kids a couple of hot dogs and then we started getting ready to go downstairs in case we got hit by a tornado.

Here is where my children got a little stressed out.  Here are some of the things I heard:

1.  Courtney: What are we going to do about James?? (he's Courtney's fish.  Matt did go upstairs and put James in a jar and we took him downstairs with us.).

2.  Christian: Can we take the legos downstairs too?

3.  Courtney: What is the first part of the house to get ruined by a tornado? The upstairs or the downstairs?

4.  Courtney: What about my money? Will you pay me back? Wait, what if the bank gets ruined in a tornado too??

5.  Christian: Will the tornado ruin "The Amazing Pizza Machine?"  (We went there about a month ago for a birthday party and he wants to go back.)

6.  Christian: I found my headlamp, will that save us??

7.  Christian: What about my bed? What will happen to it?

8. Courtney: I have my penguin flashlight and my blanket, that is all I need!

9.  Christian: Will I get to play with my toys again? What will happen to my trains? I reassured him that if they got destroyed, I will buy him new toys.

By the time we needed to go downstairs, all three children were in tears! They had watched the TV and heard Matt and I talk about how we needed to get downstairs.  Megan didn't say much, but I know she was worried. She hid out in her room writing in her journal until we told her we had to get down there.  Courtney kept talking about it with Christian and I honestly think she was scaring him.  They were all crying when we headed downstairs!

Once we got downstairs with our shoes on, blankets, weather radio, and our cell phones and other electronic devices, we settled into the kitchen area for awhile.  Matt had turned all the computers off and also the air conditioner off, so it was sooo quiet.  The kids continued to ask questions until we handed them the electronic to play until the storm passed.  I kept telling them that anything they have upstairs can be replaced if we have a tornado, I reassured them that I wanted them to be safe most of all. :) 

Once it did pass, they didn't want to come upstairs! They were enjoying their time on the electronics! They eventually left the basement and we continued to watch the TV and see where the storms were headed. Once we got upstairs, Christian was thrilled that his toys didn't get destroyed and that he could still play with them!

He also seemed a little concerned yet about the storm and started to get scared every time there was lightning outside; I had to tell him that storms are not a big deal.  He thought we had to head back to the basement every time it flashed outside! I really hope this doesn't bother him, he did go to bed without a problem, so that is good!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment