Friday, May 16, 2014

It's that time of year again!

It's that time of year again...everybody is getting out of school for the year! While it's fun and exciting, I can't say that the we are finishing anytime soon! When I say this to people, their jaws drop like I am being mean to my children or something. :) Honestly, I am getting tired of the question!

We will finish school up, but not this week and not next week,  it may be about the middle of June! Does anybody remember that trip we took last September? And because we were gone for 5 weeks, we are about 5 weeks behind in school?? Plus not all of my subjects line up to end at the same time, so it is a quite complicated question for me to answer!

I do have some goals though.

Megan:
Math: She has about 30 lessons left in her math book. People keep telling me that I don't "have" to finish her math book, but I am going to! Why shouldn't I finish it?? We're homeschooling and don't have a set day that I need to be done! I also know that she will still be learning new concepts up until the end. I need her to know those for 5th grade! And yes, I know they do a lot of reviewing the first few weeks of school next year, but we are going to finish her book anyway! I think she has 3 chapters left.  30 lessons at 5 lessons a week= 6 more weeks of math

English:  We have about 40 less lessons in this book than we do in her math book and I think we are down to about 15 lessons left.  She has two chapters left. Again 15 lessons at 4-5 lessons a week= 3-4 weeks of English

Spelling: We just finished week 16 of her spelling book, we are going to do week 17 next week and then week 18 is a review week. I feel that is a good place to stop until next fall. :)

Sonlight Language arts:  We just started week 20 (out of 36) on this and all her other Sonlight curriculum.  I realized that from week 19-22, Megan gets to write a research paper on her state, so we are going to keep plugging away at this curriculum until we finish week 22, so give or take 2-4 weeks.

History/ Geography/ Read-alouds- Again, this is Sonlight, so we will keep going until we get to week 22. Then we will break for the summer and finish up again next fall.

Courtney:
Math: She also has about 30 lessons left in her book.  Again, at least 6 weeks.

Phonics: We are in the middle of 2nd grade phonics, so my goal is to get to the end of the unit. Each unit has 30 lessons and I think we completed lesson 8 yesterday, so about 22 more. Again, 4-5 lessons a week and we are going for about 5 weeks yet.  We will finish units 4 and 5 next fall.

Spelling: I think we just completed week 32 this week and there are 36 weeks in her spelling book, we will finish this book within 4 weeks.

Sonlight reading/ writing: Again, I am going to keep her on the same schedule as Megan, so we just started week 20, so we will go to week 22 and stop.

Both children:
Bible: We came to a good stopping point in our Bible Curriculum last week, so I just called it good for the year! We are going to be reading some Heroes of the Faith books for the rest of the year. Right now, I am reading William Booth, the man who started the Salvation Army (plus it takes place about the same time that we are in history, so it works for both subjects!

Science: We just started out unit on the human body. This is also Sonlight, so we will go another three weeks and put everything away for the summer.

There, so now when anybody asks me "When are you going to be done with school?" I can send them to this blog post!!! It's not just a one-word simple answer!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment