Sunday, February 24, 2013

New Week

Have you ever told your kids they can go play video games because you KNOW it will occupy them and then you can get some things done??? Yes, me too! (I rarely do this, but I really want to get school planned for the week!)

Ok, we are on week 23 of school, 13 left to go, and this week in science we are learning about atoms and molecules. How do you explain atoms and molecules to a 3rd and kindergartener?? You be very basic! Our book has a very basic explanation of each of these and then I think we are going to make some of our own atoms and put them together to form molecules. If I was a great teacher, I would go to the store and get gumdrops and attach gumdrops with toothpicks. Actually, I might have candy that will work OR I may just have the kids draw models on a piece of paper. (Remember Courtney only wanted to do activities that involved cutting, pasting, and coloring!)  The following website has examples that we can make. I might pick out the molecules that they have heard of and do those.

http://www.chemistryforkids.net/help/molecules

We are going to talk about solids, liquids, and gases on Tuesday and then on Wedneday, we are going to talk about how materials change, such as from gas to a liquid to a solid. We are also going to talk about mixing materials, such as sand, cement, and water and it turns into concrete and about chemical reactions. This week sounds fun!!

I like this section of science because we can actually do experiments! I loved everything we have done this far, but this is actually science!

As for history, we are learning about the United States Constitution, I really have a girl after my own heart. Every day, Megan begs to start with history! Gotta love it!!

Megan is also going to be starting her chapter in her English book on adjectives and adverbs and Courtney is still plugging away on Phonics. Her reading has came a long ways and it will only continue to improve!

No comments:

Post a Comment