Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Fingerprints

We are studying the body for the next two weeks in science.

Yesterday we talked about major organs and the blood and heart. (You try describing what the heart does to a 6 and 9 year old- it is very complicated!)

Today we talked about skin, hair, and fingerprints. I thought it would be neat if we could make our own fingerprints and then try to identify which kind we had by the websites I had put on my blog.

Project fail! I couldn't get our fingerprints to come out right. I had an ink pad, but must not have done them hard enough because they were hard to see. I tried a different ink pad, making fingerprints in pencil dust, and I tried marking the fingers with markers and making prints. Nothing worked! Time was up or else I think the girls would've kept trying to get their fingerprints to turn out!

A couple of consulting jobs ago, Matt actually worked with a fingerprint machine and he said he could call the company and see if we could borrow it.  It would be neat!

Tomorrow we are going to study our bones and then Thursday is our gastro-intestinal system! Just right up our alley in this house!

I like this science curriculum because it gives a good overview of a variety of subjects. I just want the girls to be aware of these things, not necessarily know them in depth. Like today we talked about goose bumps and why they appear, it's just fun stuff like that, I am enjoying learning as much as they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment