Wednesday, October 24, 2012

No Jury Duty!

About three weeks ago, I got a summons in the mail that I was being called for jury duty for the district court here in Omaha.  As much as I want to be on a jury, I didn't quite know how this was going to work.  As a stay-at-home mom, I could probably make it work to serve on a jury, but now that I homeschool, how would that work? If I got called in, my children could not go to school.  I was also going to be on call for a month, which added to the problem.

I filled out the forms and filled out the "Petition to get out of jury duty."  I wrote that I am a homeschool teacher and my children would not be able to go to school, I also added that I cannot hire a substitute.  In Nebraska, there is a state truancy law that says if your children miss more than 14 days of school, your name gets turned into the county attorney for review. I did not want this to happen! (remember, I could be on a jury for a month.)

I called in today to check my status and it said, "Your request to get out of jury duty has been granted!"

I was pretty happy!!

So to all you homeschool moms, if you get called into district court, you just might get out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment