Friday, October 12, 2012

I have a problem!

I have a problem. I check out way toooo many books at the library and I don't know how to stop!

We go about every week to check out books, but every time we go, we seem to check out more books than the week before. I always take the stroller in and by the time we go to check them out, the back is full and Christian's seat is full. He is usually out of the stroller anyway.

Let me clarify that these are not just my books.

Megan likes to read the Boxcar Children books, so she will check a bunch out. She also likes to check out other chapter books.  Lately, we have gotten the books with the title that starts, "You wouldn't want to be..."  We have checked out, "You wouldn't want to be an Aztec Sacrifice" and "You wouldn't want to be a Mayan Soothsayer." She really likes reading these, so tonight she went online and found many more of them! She got a lesson in looking books up on the computer and then she got a lesson on how to find them on the bookshelves. I think she had six of these "You wouldn't want to be..." books by the time we left.  Amelia Bedelia books are always a few favorites of hers too and I saw a few in her stack tonight.

Courtney likes the Rainbow Fairy books, so she always has a stack of those PLUS picture books. (And no, she cannot read the Rainbow Fairy books by herself, but she likes to read them anyway. She makes up stories as she goes.)  She also had to get a few books on penguins and various other ones she found around the library.

Of course Christian cannot leave the library without a book or two about trucks, tractors, or cars.

Ok, now I have to admit, I am probably the worst of them all. Here is what I came out with, but as my defense, I don't get any books for myself, I get books for school! We use a lot of living books (Charlotte Mason method) here at our house, so I always like to get books to go along with what we are studying.

Here is what I looked for tonight.
1. History we are studying the Mayans (I already have books on them), but we are also studying Jamestown and the beginning of the United States. I got a few books on Jamestown, the Puritans, the Pilgrims, and of course, "You wouldn't want to sail on the Mayflower."

2.  Science.  I love teaching science and I love finding books to go along with what we are learning. I could find everything on the computer, but I really like books. Next week we are learning about coasts, caves, caverns, things from the earth that are useful such as coal, oil, power, and our world and how it is in danger, such as rainforest damage, pollution, animals going extinct, and fishing dangers. Can you imagine how many different books I brought home??

3. Courtney is also learning how to read and is doing a GREAT job, I am so proud of her!! She is beginning to read real books all by herself. She sounds out the words and tries really hard. Because of this, I get a stack of books for her too! I find her easy books to read (Level 1 readers or books that don't have a lot of words on the pages).  She also likes the Sound Box books.  These books have one book for each letter of the alphabet, so I looked at what we were studying next week and got the books to go with our lessons. I noticed that we are going to have a review lesson next week, so I picked up some books that emphasize short vowels.

I think that is it.  And yes, there is a 40 books limit on each library card (we have one for each kid) and the librarian overrode that rule for me.  He really shouldn't do that!!  He also said he doesn't do that for everybody, but since we are there every week and bring our books back, he said it isn't a problem!! (It is a problem though when you bring the books home and put them on the living room floor, but there are so many books, it's out of control!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment