Saturday, February 18, 2012

Love this!!

I had to read this through a couple of times to really understand what it was saying, but once I got it, I loved it!! (I stole this from somebody else's blog).

"Mothers who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all."
Julie Beck

As Americans, we think we need to be so busy all the time! We don't!! This is one reason why we homeschool, we want to give our kids time to be kids! These young kids sit in school 8 hours a day and then have a few hours left in the day to do what they want to do. I know some kids who come home and watch tv or play computer all evening. Where is the family time? We're not always the best at this either, but I think we all get the point. Sometimes I feel we are even too busy with life!

Ever since I had Megan, we really try to keep the TV off (this may drive some people nuts), but I don't turn it on during the day. I want the kids to go entertain themselves. We want our kids to be creative. I think it's funny that if the TV is on during the day and nobody is watching it, Megan will go turn it off! If they want to play games on the computer, I usually let them play for about a half an hour. The computer is in the kitchen where I can see them at all times too.

On the other hand, this quote doesn't mean that you need to spend time with your kids 24/7. Really, I know! I need a break too! We all do, but I think the point is that you need to cherish your home life and you will get out of it what you put into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment