Friday, February 24, 2017

A visit to the dentist?

Today I had a dentist appointment at 1 pm. I have been dreading this appointment for awhile and have actually rescheduled it 4-5 times because of the weather and flu.  Even though it was snowing out today, I just made it work! Matt was home and it was in the middle of he snowstorm, but we headed over there anyway! He took me because I didn't want to drive in the snow, and he had to go to Menard's anyway.

Back in December at my usual checkup, my dentist found a cavity on one of my front teeth. A few years ago, I had a cavity on the same spot, but on the other side. I remembered how sensitive those front teeth were and cringed when he told me I had to have it done again.

I went in today and before the dentist numbed me up, he looked in my mouth and was trying to figure out exactly where my filling was.  He seemed kind of confused! They ended up taking a few more x-rays and found out that I not only had one cavity on my front teeth, but three!! AHHHH!!!

As we sat there talking, I mentioned to him that I was thinking about getting braces to straighten my teeth. Once I said this, his tone kind of changed. He explained to me that if I was going to get braces soon, he would wait to fill my cavities. I was not expecting this! He said that as my teeth sit now (not aligned in the front), he would have to drill through the front of my teeth to get to all three cavities. This would lead to fillings on the front of my teeth that might stain, look bad, etc. in the future. He told me that if I waited and straightened my teeth, then he could go in through the back of my teeth to get to the fillings. He said this would be so much better!

In the end, I walked out without getting my cavities filled. I told him I just need to pull the trigger and get braces! I have been talking about this for long enough! He said the cavities can wait, but do need to be filled eventually. He didn't charge me for the extra x-rays or consultation. What a nice guy!! (BTW, this is not the same dentist that we have seen for the last 12 years, but a newer guy in the office. I may just see him again!! I don't think our dentist would have told me the same thing!)


No comments:

Post a Comment