Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Third Time is a Charm...

The third time to the orthodontist means hearing the same thing again.  This advice was yet different from the other two orthodontists that I have visited.

Orthodonitst #1 said to break my bottom jaw.
Orthodontist #2 said to break my top jaw.
Orthodontist #3 said I need both broken!! Yikes!
This last one also said I would need to be in braces about 1- 1 1/2 years before surgery (the other ones only said 9 months), then surgery, then another 6 months in braces.  It would be about a two year ordeal.

He also said if I don't get this done, things are going to get worse. I may ruin my jaw joint and I will continue having pain along with cracking my teeth. 

Surgery would involve a day in the hospital or surgical center, maybe overnight, liquid diet for about 6 weeks while my jaw is healing, they would rubberband it shut with "surgical hooks" on my braces (They do this so you can take the rubberbands off to brush your teeth).  I would need about 5-6 weeks for full recovery.

Surgery would include 1. top jaw. they would split my top jaw down the middle to expand it.
2. bottom jaw, they would break the back by my molars and add filling to bring my jaw forward.

Sounds like fun, huh?? Again, anybody have a chunk of money sitting around? Not only is it a lot to endure, I have to pay an arm and leg for it!  But do I want pain the rest of my life? It is under consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment