Thursday, November 17, 2011

Random Thoughts from the Week

1. I love Tuesdays and Thursdays. No reason to get up and out the door by 8:45. We sleep in, a little bit and enjoy the morning. Wait, I catch up on housework and the laundry. But stil...

2. Christian and Courtney are such buddies lately!! When I put Christian down for a nap at 1:30 so I can teach Megan for a couple of hours, Courtney says, "Mom, do you HAVE to put him down for a nap? I want somebody to play with." She is really starting to get bored by herself while I am teaching Megan. She can't wait for him to get up so she can play with him. I have offered her to sit down and do school with us, but she doesn't want to. She usually ends up wondering around the house until Christian wakes up. Oh and interrupting us about every 10 minutes to see if it's 3:00 yet so she can have her "ice cream break." She was so good about playing by herself during this time! What happened?

3. When Christian is awake, dump truck rides are usually what Courtney and Christian are doing. Christian will get in the dump truck and Courtney will push him around the house as fast as she can. Christian loves it!!

Now if Megan were to touch the dump truck while Christian was in it, he would have nothing of it. Them two don't play together very well and I think it is because Megan doesn't "play" with Christian, she is usually teasing him, irritating him, laying on him, etc. He doesn't really like her close to him.

4. Matt is gone in Iowa again this week. He was supposed to go next week and we had a nice vacation planned. We were going to go along and stay at a hotel that had a waterpark! But unfortunately, his company doesn't want him in Iowa next week, so no more vacation. :( It would've worked great during the week of Thanksgiving because Courtney doesn't have preschool on Wednesday.

5. I sat at the kitchen table for 4 hours yesterday teaching kids!!! 4 hours!!!
I started school wtih Megan at 1:30 and about 3, Courtney was begging for her "ice cream break" (like usual) This works for me too. :) We took about a half hour break for ice cream and to get Christian up. Then I finished with Megan about 4:30.

Then Courtney wanted to do school! I love sitting down with her because she is soooo eager to learn lately. We sat at the table for another 45 minutes or so working on her preschool books. I was begging her to be done, I had had enough talking and teaching, but the other two were gone playing, so it was perfect timing. Ahhh, when she decided we were done, I got up and vegged in front of the TV for awhile!

If we decide to homeschool Courtney next year, how will this work?? It will definitely help that I will not have her preschool schedule to work around!

6. Megan's favorite two subjects are history and Bible. Anybody can ask her and this will be her reply. I am with you Megan!

I have to admit, we are learning world history this year and everything we are learning lately, I was never taught in school, so I am learning right along with her. Right now we are at about 500 BC and yesterday we learned how King Xerxes of Persia invaded Greece. We learned the whole story of how the smaller Athenian army defeated the huge army of Persia! Wow! I am a history buff, so I am loving this!! Megan is too!

I think it's awesome that when we open our Bible to do our lesson there and we are learning about the same people and places as in history class. On Tuesday, we were talking about King Darius and Persia and how he tried to invade Greece (the 2nd attempt, King Xerxes was the 3rd attempt). Well, we flipped our Bible open to the book of Daniel and guess who we are talking about - King Darius of Persia! I love it!!!

Really, who thought I would get excited about the Perians, Greeks, Spartans, Assyrians, Babylonians, Mesopotamians, the Indus Valley, China at 500 BC??

And would Megan be getting ANY of this at public school? NO!! (But is it important that she learns history in 2nd grade? Should we be doing more reading and writing and math like they would be doing in school? Obviously I don't think so. :)

7. Did you know that the $150 million bond issue for Milard Public Schools failed this week? Yes, the voters voted it down, which included Matt and I. Would you vote for a tax increase when your kids did not go to school there?? But I do think that higher security and doors on their elementary school classrooms was a good idea, I do not think artificial turf is. This is a district that took bussing away for 900 students and yet wants to add artifical turf. Hmmm.

8. Courtney is making some really good friends at preschool this year! One of her main friends is a girl named Livi. Yesterday at pick up her mom said to me, "Everyday Livi asks if there is preschool because she can't wait to come and play with Courtney." Isn't that sweet?? We definitely have to have them over to play.

9. I am loving my gym membership. Two hours completely by myself two days a week is great! Courtney is at preschool, Christian and Megan are in childcare. Yesterday I was in the pool for about an hour and a half. Seriously, it is so relaxing. Exercising plus having time to myself! Two things that are great for me right now!

10. Ok, so I didn't really mean to write to 10, but if you know me, I like even numbers, so I just can't end at 9. :) Don't even ask me about my fettish with even vs. odd numbers (yes, having 3 children drives me nuts)! Anyway, off to get the kids up...

No comments:

Post a Comment