Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I think I started something...

Courtney has been begging me to teach her to read. I want to teach her because her excitement to learn is so great right now, but I'm having a hard time finding time to sit down with her.

Tonight I got to put her to bed. We were doing connect the dots with the alphabet and somehow we got on the subject of her wanting to learn to read. I had also found some alphabet cards while I was sitting there, so I decided to test her and see what she knew.

She knew almost all the alphabet, so I went through again and started teaching her the sounds. She knew some really well, like the ones she had learned in preschool, but others not so much.

I wanted to push it further. I got out a piece of paper and wrote the word "fun" on it, wondering if she could figure it out. With much prompting, she did! You should've seen her eyes light up!!

We turned fun into sun, which she also got. Then we went to it, then sit, then hit. (We could do the whole word family!)

I think once she figures out the sounds to words, she will take off in reading!

I think we might be doing more of this tomorrow! Good thing I kept a lot of Megan's kindergarten readers and word family papers! I might need to get those out soon. And add some Courtney reading time to our school time in the afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment