Sunday, November 20, 2011

Open Door Mission and Wal-mart

Yesterday we had one goal. Make a trip to the Open Door Mission.

Our goal was two-fold. Megan had collected toys for the kids down there for her birthday. It was a great idea-instead of bringing Megan presents, the people brought gifts for the Open Door Mission. It worked out great! This was something Megan wanted to do for her birthday. Don't worry, she still got presents for herself, just not as many.

The second part of the plan was to clean out the storage section in our basement and take everything that we weren't using/ didn't need/ will never use again down there too. This also included items that I have been putting in piles throughout the house- old clothes, old shoes, old small appliances.

It took a couple of hours to clean it out, but we got it. It is amazing what we found down there! For instance, Megan has been begging me to find this porcelain doll that grandma Jo had given her when she was a baby. I looked in every box in her room and I just couldn't figure out where it went! Well, it was in a box in the basement. She was about in tears when I found it!

We also found a couple of boxes of more items that we had received for our wedding that could go in our China hutch- glass bowls, goblets, flower vases, etc. I found old scrap books and a crate of piano books (that's where those went!). I also found a box of school books. Somewhere along the line, my mom had found these elementary English books. They are full of stories and I thought Megan would love reading out of them.

We got rid of a lot of stuff too. Our old microwave that we took out of kitchen last year went to the mission. We had intended to sell it on Craig's list, but never did. We had old towels we were never going to use, some flower vases that we have doubles of, and some other household items. I am so glad these were all going to nice organization that will give them to people who need them. The mission does such good work in Omaha and starting in December, I think we are going to start serving down there as a family. This is one thing I really want to incorporate as part of the Ruwe homeschool. :)

So as Matt and Megan were delivering items to the Open Dorr Mission, Courtney and I decided that we wanted to make some banana bread. Well, you can't make banana bread without eggs, so that idea was thrown out the window. Next I decided to find something to make for a thanksgiving get-together that we have Sunday afternoon. After looking through my pantry, I decided I had nothing to take. Plus it was Matt's birthday on Sunday, and we hadn't gotten a gift for him yet. So I made an executive decision and Courtney, Christian, and I were off to Wal-Mart!

Shopping went great, except I am beginning to dislike going grocery shopping on the weekends. Unofortunately, the trouble started at the check-out lanes. Christian was being good in the cart like usual and then he spotted the tractor. Wal-Mart had set up this big section of bikes and riding toys for young kids like Christian and Courtney. They were right by the check-out lanes too! There was a John Deere jeep and a couple of race cars that were for boys. Christian spotted these and almost jumped out of his seat!

The whole time he was saying, "Tractor, Tractor!". I would say, "Do you want to ride the tractor?" and he would get even more excited! I had let Courtney go play on them and other kids were on them, so he was not too good in the cart. The cashier was even saying, "I'm going as fast as I can!"

I got all done checking out and I took him over there and he was all smiles! He got on the green jeep and was thrilled! Then he got on a car, back to the jeep, then over to a race car. He was having a great time!! (How was I going to get him out of here?)

He got out of the 2nd race car and headed back to the jeep when another boy came along and got into that race car that he was just in. He immediately got jealous and he screamed at the top of his lungs! He has a tendency to do this, he thinks that once he's played in it, the toy is his. So I picked him up and we headed to the door. Poor thing needs to learn to share!

While I was buckling Christian into his carseat in the car, I looked over at Courtney and she looked kind of sad. I said, "Courtney, we had to leave because your brother was being naughty."

She looked at me with her big brown eyes and that were welling up in tears. She said, "He was NOT being naughty, he was being very good" and she started crying! Poor thing! She wanted me to tell the other boy to get off the car so Christian could ride it again! She does not like it when Christian gets his feelings hurt, expecially by other kids!

I tried to explain to her that Christian has to share and he was being very good until that moment. She said, "I don't want to talk about it anymore." Fine Courtney! I love her heart!

So anyway, we got home and Matt and Megan were back home and it was a very peaceful evening! Too bad those Huskers lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment