Thursday, October 27, 2011

Changes in Carseats!

Ok, I am going to get on my soapbox about carseats on this entry, so just bear with me. This is my personal opinion and you do not have to agree with me if you do not want to.


Today we did the big switcheroo in the carseat department. Megan got moved to a high-back booster seat, Courtney gets Megan's 5 point harness carseat, and Christian gets moved into a convertible carseat and out of his infant carrier.

Tomorrow is the first day that Megan will ride in a high-back booster seat.

Ever since the day we brought her home from the hospital, she has been in a 5 point harness carseat. And she is almost 8.

Are we over-protective when it comes to safety? Why didn't we put her in a booster seat 4 years ago? Why does every other kid ride in a low-back booster seat and our children are still harnessed? Why you ask? IT'S SAFER!!!

I often cringe when I see 4 year olds in a low-back booster seat (Did you know high back booster seats are 70% safer than low-backs?). I cringe when I see kids not in booster seats that are the same age as both of my girls! I cringe when I see booster seats in the front seat of cars. I cringe when I see carseat buckles/straps not tightened. I cringe when I see kids with thick winter jackets on in carseats, whether booster seat or harness mode. How about one year olds who are front-facing? Christian will probably stay backwards until at least 2 or 3, thanks to new research that kids can actually break their neck when they are faced forward too early and are involved in an accident.

Honestly, I just don't get it. If there is a safer way to have your children ride around in your car, why don't you give that to them? Why do some parents move their kids to a low-back booster seat AS SOON AS THEY CAN just for convenience? Yes, booster seats are MUCH more convenient than harnessed carseats that you need to install and be kept in one car. Trust me! But they are not very safe. I will take the safety of my children anyday over convenience!!

To add to it, we bought Megan a high back booster seat that actually latches into the car, so if we get into an accident, she will not have the force of the carseat on her, unlike other booster seats that just sit on the seat. And this is why we had to buy a Honda! We had to have enough latches and tethers for three carseats! Seriously, if Megan was in a low back booster that wasn't latched in, we could've spent a whole lot less on a new car! But no, we want our children to be safe.

And just to remind everybody, Megan, or any of my children, will not ride in the front seat until they are 12 and they will remain in booster seats until they are 4 ft. 9 inches, like the carseat recommendations. Seriously, why do I see 8 year olds riding in the front seat? Do the parents not know that the air bag can kill their children if they are in an accident? I know these parents love their children, but why do they not make sure they are safe in a car? Honestly, I just don't get it.

I will get off my soapbox now. :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally am with you on this. Marie is in a five point and will be until 8 (when Zac will get hers and the others expire) and be in a booster until 4'9". I get a little lazy when she is not in the normal vehicle (she has a low back for the truck) but that is only because she wouldn't fit in there with the bigger carseat. Its not a full back seat, just the skinny little bench. You are not alone in this!

    ReplyDelete