Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Earth out of cookie dough?

We are two lessons into our unit on space and I am already finding that some information is a repeat from last year.  Today's lesson was on how earth was so different from the other planets and how only earth is capable of sustaining life.  Our book also talked about the layers of the earth  Since we knew a lot about how earth was unique, I decided to concentrate on the layers of the earth  I found a worksheet that explained the layers and then we did a little edible experiment to make a model of the four layers.

We took chocolate chips to be the inner core, a marshmallow to be the outer core.  I made cookie dough earlier, so we then wrapped the inner and outer core in cookie dough.  Finally, I ground up almonds and used that as the crust  We had a complete 4-layer earth! It was pretty neat!

When we were done, I tried to cut mine open to show the layers, but the marshmallow just flattened, so that didn't work so well.  I then let the kids eat them!  Megan ate hers up right away, but Christian and Courtney did not. I don't know if this is because the marshmallows weren't exactly fresh or if the cookie dough was just too sweet for them. It used a lot of sugar that we are not used to anymore! They actually left their "earth" on the counter to go play, which was very surprising.

I will bake the rest of the cookie dough into cookies and save them for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment