Saturday, November 29, 2014

Unit on Space!

We are down to out last six weeks in Core E of our Sonlight Curriculum!  In addition to Core E, we also have 6 weeks left of Core E Language Arts for Megan and 1st grade Language Arts for Courtney.  We have also been doing Sonlight First Grade Science and since I have kept these four subjects all aligned, we are down to six weeks left of that too!  I am pretty excited to finish this because we have been working on this curriculum since the end of September 2013.  We started this when we got back from our 5 week trip to the east coast last year. I am planning to wrap it up about the end of January!

But until then, we still have a lot of learning to do! We are up to the end of World War II in history and we will go until current times.  Megan and Courtney have both improved tremendously in their writing and are ready to go onto the next level.  In science, we are going to finish the last six weeks with a unit on space.  We finally finished our unit on the human body and this will round out our study.  I have learned soooo much in science this year and hopefully, my girls have too!

We are going to be using this book for the last six weeks.



I am pretty excited! To go with each lesson, I will continue to supplement what they want us to learn. 

Our first couple pages are general thoughts about space and what we find up there.

They also get into lack of sound in space.  Why is that?? I didn't know myself, so I had to do some more research.

http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/projects/vss/docs/space-environment/1-is-there-sound-in-space.html

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=8

I will try my best to explain to two girls that there is no "air" in space.  It's kind of hard to understand, but hopefully they will get it!

We are also going to talk about how light travels through space.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-does-light-travel.html

I totally did not understand this whole article, but I think the part that I can understand will be good enough!!

Lastly, how do we see light as humans?

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5025645_see-light.html

Now this all might be over my girls' heads, but it always helps me to study in pretty in-depth before teaching it, so I can understand it fully. I have to be ready for any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment