Thursday, October 2, 2014

Ready for the Weekend!

I am soooo ready for the weekend.  This has been a long week! Just when I think we are going to be able to get to a schedule and really get going on school, somebody throws a wrench into my plans!

The wrench this week was Christian's pneumonia.  Not only did I spend 2 1/2 hours at the doctor on Monday (and who knows how much $$), he is still not much better and it is almost Friday!  We have been up every three hours at night giving him albuterol because he is coughing so hard.  This has happened for the last four nights and I really struggle to get out of bed in the morning! He is also still running his low-grade fever on and off. 

So not only do we start school late every morning, but I am dealing with a sick kid on a daily basis.  I will say that he is worse in the evening, nighttime, and in the morning. This morning I was upstairs and he drug himself up the steps because he had no energy and told me "My blanket is sooo heavy." He had brought his blanket upstairs with him. I told him to go lay down in bed and I was going to go back downstairs and start school with the girls (because it was already 10 am and way past time when I would like to start).  Apparently he didn't want to be upstairs by himself, so I had to come back upstairs and carry him down. Poor thing! He was better a couple hours later though.

To get this boy better though, the doctor prescribed some antibiotics. But why do they have to make them so disgusting??  I tried to give him some Monday night and he about spit it back out at me! We have put it in applesauce, ice cream, and tonight we put it into apple juice. I don't blame the kid for not wanting to take it, I wouldn't want to either! If I knew what was in the stuff they use to flavor medicines, I might take it back to the pharmacy and pay $1.99 for some grape flavoring, but I bet it's high fructose corn syrup and artificial food dyes, not exactly what I want to give my sick child! 

After not noticing much of a difference from two days ago, I got on the phone today and called our pediatrician just to see when we should start seeing improvement.. They just said to call them back if his fever went higher or if he started vomiting. She said it could be 3-5 days before we see improvement!  They also told me not to give him so much albuterol because it will make his heart race.  Sorry, but it breaks my heart to see my kid coughing until he gags and his eyes watering so much. The albuterol is working, so I am going to keep giving it to him! Am I just supposed to let him cough all day long?? How miserable is that...not just for him, but for everybody in this house!

I also asked today if he is contagious or not.  We have been taking him places, but have not let him play with kids his age, such as to Sunday School.  The nurse said that the cold that gave him pneumonia is contagious, but the pneumonia is not. Interesting!  I did not know that...

In the midst of school, no sleep, fighting a kid to take his medicine, and his sickness, I have totally let the house get out of hand! Seriously, it is very bad right now and honestly, I don't have the energy to clean it or to have the kids to clean it at the moment! Maybe Saturday....

Is it the weekend yet???

No comments:

Post a Comment