Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Campgrounds

After being home and sleeping in my own bed last night, I thought about all the different campgrounds we stayed at on our trip. I can remember each of them in my head, most of them were great, but there was one that I probably would not stay at again.

Here are the campgrounds in the order we stayed at them:

Rock Creek State Park, one hour east of Des Moines Iowa, 1 night

Illini State Park, Marseilles, Illinois, 4 nights

Hidden Paradise Campground, hour south of Indianapolis, Indiana, 3 nights (Labor Day Weekend)

Big Bone Lick State Park, 20 minutes south of Cincinnati, Ohio (technically in Kentucky), 2 nights

Mammoth Cave National Park, Mammoth Cave, Kentucky (90 miles north of Nashville, Tennessee) 2 nights with NO electricity and 90 degree heat!

Ferne Clyffe State Park, southern tip of Illinois, 1 night

Riverside City Park Campground, Springfield, Illinois, 1 night (would not stay here again unless I had to!)

Mark Twain Cave Campground, Hannibal, Missouri, 1 night

I think state parks are the best way to go! You get what you need (electricity and water) and they are usually really nice! They are not expensive either; we usually paid $20 a night.  We had a pool at Big Bone Lick State Park and really nice hiking trails and rock formations at Ferne Clyffe State Park.  It's fun exploring new areas and talking to the locals. I would go back to many of these again.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are home safely! I checked your blog at least daily for updates on you life and was anxiously waiting for news!

    ReplyDelete