Thursday, September 11, 2014

Back to School Tomorrow

We are hitting the books tomorrow, aka getting back to school. :)

I am not ready at all. I haven't had much time to look over their lessons, so I pretty much am going to do what I can.

But before we get school started, we need to discuss something in history that happened 13 years ago.  September 11, 2001.  I want my children to know what happened on 9/11 and I want them to understand why it happened. But how can you explain that terrible day to a 10 and 8 year old? Make it kid-friendly, in a way.  We were at Ground Zero last year when we went to the east coast, so my kids have walked that ground, so they understand a little bit of it.  We have talked about it every year and we are going to continue to talk about it.

We are going to use videos from history.com tomorrow to explain what happened.  We might look at some pictures online too.

http://www.history.com/topics/9-11-attacks/videos/911-timeline?m=528e394da93ae&s=undefined&f=1&free=false

We might use this as a timeline if we need to:

http://www.english-online.at/history/9-11/9-11-terrorist-attacks.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment