Thursday, August 8, 2013

Starting school...

Everywhere I look, people are talking about starting school next week. If my girls were to go back to their school, they would be starting on Monday.  Yesterday at the zoo, we ran into one of Megan's old classmates and of course her mom asked, "Are you ready to start school?" They had no idea that we homeschooled! This girl was in Megan's class for the two years!  (This is one of the reason we pulled our kids out- too many kids in one class!)

It just made me realize how thankful we are that we homeschool our kids.  I remember the first year that I did not send Megan back. I was very nervous about not being a part of the first day of school activities and I almost felt like we were being left out. A part of me just wanted to go up to the school on the first day and hang out anyway!  Two years later, stuff like that doesn't bother me anymore.

I like that I can buy school supplies whenever I want and I can start whenever I want. I totally love being in control!!  When I was at Walmart the other day, the school isles were just packed with parents and their kids.  Do you know how much shopping for school supplies bothered me? I hated it that you bought everything and then you took it to school and put it in a community pile.  Megan didn't get to keep anything we bought! Now, we buy it and I know she is using it!

I also keep hearing, "I can't wait for my kids to go back to school." Ugh, another huge pet peeve of mine!  Why don't you enjoy the time you have with your kids? Cherish the time with them before they go to school for 8 hours a day!  I love it when parents actually say, "I sure will miss my kids when they go back to school." It sounds so much better! I sure missed Megan and looked forward to when she was home on breaks!  But honestly, it was quite an adjustment having her home our first year of homeschooling! It was an adjustment for everyone because I was used to sending her back to school every fall. Now I can't imagine sending her off for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week! (Honestly, I don't think I will get her to go back, ever!)

I feel bad though that we will not be having school for awhile around here.  I always feel obliged to follow the public school schedule, but we don't necessarily have to follow their schedule. As long as we fulfill the hours (or in my case, get 36 weeks of school done) we are following the law.  People out in public just expect kids to be back in school and if I took the kids out in public next week during regular school hours, I might get some stares.  If they ask, I will politely say that we homeschool our children.   

Off to more camping. I am so glad I don't have to worry about school on Monday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment