Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Crazy Life!

I realized that other day that life is getting a lot busier lately. Busy life means that we are not doing school for the moment.

We are going on a trip at the end of August (don't worry, somebody is watching our house!) and life is planned out until then.

We have 2 weeks of school done. I was hoping for 5 done before we left. It doesn't look like that is going to happen!  But I am ok with that, I can only do so much and the nice thing about homeschooling is that we can always make it up. 

We are not going to take school along on our trip, so we will probably be going to school at our house into June next year. The law states that you need to fulfill your 1032 hours between July 1st and June 30th of a year and I think we can do it.  (There was actually a case that went to court about this last year, so even if I don't exactly follow the public school calendar and am able to get my hours in, I am following the law!)

We did finish some school up yesterday morning (we finished week 2 work), but today we are going to the zoo and tomorrow we are going camping again until Sunday. We still have a bunch of reading to do, so may try to finish some of that up this morning, but I hate to start all new stuff (week 3 work) and then not have school for 4 days.

Next week is Courtney's birthday.  We are having a party with her homeschool friends for her on Wednesday, which will take some preparation as in getting items ready for the party and cleaning the house! We are then going to have another family party (I know, call me crazy!) on Sunday, so I get to do it all over again.  We may be able to get some school work done next week.

The following weekend, we are camping at Mahoney State Park on Friday and then heading east on vacation on Sunday.  This week will be busy getting things ready for our trip. I already have a list of things I need to purchase or find (fall clothes, umbrella stroller, ponchos, umbrellas for everyone, tennis shoes, etc.)  Again, we may be able to get some work done.

If we get 3 weeks worth done, it is still something! I have noticed lately when my kids do have free time, Megan will sit in one place and read a book (or two) and Courtney and Christian will sit on the floor and play legos.  This is what they enjoy doing!  But when we were having school, I could tell we were in a good routine.  Since we have not had school this week, the kids have not been doing their chores and they have been sleeping until 9 am!  There is just not as much structure, which is also fine for the time being.

I am also trying to get over a cold that is going on a second week, so I am still coughing and blowing my nose all the time, it does not work so well for me to read at the moment.  Another bonus about homeschooling- when I need a sick day, I just take one!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment