Thursday, March 7, 2013

MATH CLASS!

I would like to take the time to THANK Horizons math for putting my 3rd grader into tears again during math class!!

We are switching to Saxon next year!

No more:
1. Giving no explanations for a brand new concept
2. Giving no examples for a brand new concept
3.  Teaching a shortcut first and then a couple lessons later, you teach how to REALLY do the problem
4. Mommy trying to teach this concept and after many attemps, still failing on getting the idea across to the 3rd grader.  Hence, my child is in tears!

I am actually borrowing a 4th grade Saxon mathbook from a friend, so I pulled that out and opened it up to the concept that we were learning and taught her from there!

I might just find myself a 4th grade Saxon mathbook, so I can have it around and use it if I need to! They have very clear explanations and examples...what a sigh of relief.

I think it's funny that Horizons math is teaching many concepts in 3rd grade that 4th graders are learning in Saxon math.  Megan is also learning some concepts that 5th graders learn in Saxon.

I think it is a good decision to switch Megan now. Saxon is very well-known for it's homeschool math program and if we decide to homeschool all the way through high school, the curriculum goes all the way to Calculus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment