Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Earthquakes today!

The fossils were a great hit yesterday. We ended up doing science for about two hours yesterday morning!! We hadn't finished our lesson from last Friday, so we did that first and then we went to our lesson on fossils. The girls helped me make the salt dough and we had two cookie sheets full of "fossils" when we were done. We had to bake them for an hour to make the dough firm up. We made bugs, seashells, Courtney's foot (didn't they spot "bigfoot" oncet?), dinosaur feet, gorilla feet, and a wheel for Christian.  We had a great time thinking of things to make, we used mostly toys because those washed up pretty easily. I kept asking the girls, "What would people think if they found these in the future?" Heck, maybe somebody will find our fossils in the future!

Today we are onto earthquakes.  Again, our book says to go online and find the nearest fault lines, but I think we need more than that! I think I am going to find some cardboard, a blanket, and some legos.  I am going to put the cardboard on the floor first to mimic Tectonic plates, then a blanket to represent the earths crust, and then I am going to have the kids take the bigger legos and build some buildings. Then I am going to move the plates to represent an earthquake and see what happens! I will try a smaller earthquake and then I will make it huge! I hope this will be fun! I am sure the girls will want to try and all three kids will probably have fun building some buildings for the earthquake!

Reading, writing, and math...yes, we'll get to those too. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love your creativity!!!! Sounds like fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How big was the quake, I didn't hear anything about it on the news tonight....Wish I was there, Grandma Lu

    ReplyDelete