Friday, December 10, 2010

Christian's 6 month checkup

Today we had Christian's 6 month checkup.

We started by measuring his head and of course the nurse said, "He's really strong for a 6 month old!" Yes he is! We then got his length and that was 28 inches, he added 1 1/4 inches in 2 months. We then put him on the scale and it said 17 lbs. 3 oz. I thought that was odd because a month ago, he was 17 lbs. 8 oz. (with clothes on). I asked if we could use a different scale and the other one said the same thing. (Just for reference, he was 16 lbs. 12 oz. at 4 months- right after I fed him, so give or take a few ounces.) I swear he was putting weight on! They are supposed to gain a pound a month, we weren't even at 1/2 a pound in 2 months. I know this is a cause for concern, so my first thought was, "I'm going to get in trouble by the dr." Courtney did this exact same thing, she only gained 8 oz. between 4 and 6 months, Christian only gained 7 oz. The nurse looked at his chart, but seeing how active he was, she didn't seem concerned.

The dr. came in and I asked, "Am I going to get in trouble??" She said no because we had seen this before with Courtney. I also mentioned that I have had a thyroid problem lately and there for awhile, I didn't have much milk, but now lately, I've had quite a bit. I told her he's been eating better, sleeping better, and we're finally getting settled into a routine. I asked if thyroid and my milk supply would go hand in hand she said it certainly could! She told me she was not going to worry about it because things had changed lately and my thyroid should be leveling off. Yes! She said if there was no reason for it, then she would be concerned, like we were with Courtney, but she just wants me to keep doing what I've been doing and come back in a month. I can do that. (I wonder if this is exactly what happened with Courtney too, maybe I was having thyroid problems with her and didn't know it.)

I also talked to her about him being stuffed up for the last two months, she said we could try some allergy medicine, but then she also said he's a little young for allergies. She said if it doesn't bother him, then let him be. His ears and nose were clear, so that was good. (Matt's mom said he was like this when he was younger too, so this doesn't surprise me either). His skin is also broke out a little bit, so we have some sensitive skin going on again too.

We ended with our shots and he fell asleep in my arms going out to the car. Poor thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment