Thursday, August 18, 2016

So Close!!

Courtney is officially done with 4th grade math and Megan finished up 6th grade math today!!

Tomorrow, Courtney will be taking her final test in 3rd grade English and that is DONE!

We went through the last three lessons of Megan's English today and tomorrow, we will go over the review together, and then she will do her test. How is that for efficiency?? Unfortunately, she has a final over the entire book, so that will have to wait until Monday.  Megan did say today though that she is willing to go to school on Saturday just to get everything done before Monday!

I am getting everything ready to start afresh on Monday, which will be our first day of school. I actually ordered Courtney a desk today from Wal.Mart. Since our basement isn't done yet, I decided to put the girls in my office for now. Megan already does all her homework on my desk, so I thought I would just buy Courtney a desk, and put her in there too. They will be doing some history assignments together. The computer is in there too, and they will need to do research on it for history.  Courtney is also going to learn to type this year. They may be spending quite bit of time in my office!

As I was looking forward in next year's math book for Megan, I was kind of shocked.  Almost every lesson is a repeat of something she learned in 6th grade. I did not find one new concept until the second half of the book. There were three chapters of completely new information (out of 12). I know that most kids have a three month break over the summer, so they need the review, but we JUST learned a lot of this information! I talked to Matt, and I am contemplating trying to finish the 7th grade book by December.  I would then start the 8th grade book in January.  If I was able to finish the 8th grade book by next fall, I would go ahead and start Megan in Algebra I as an 8th grader. This would give her another year of math before college.  She catches onto math very easily, so this just may work! I just need to figure out HOW to make it work.

I think we are also going to skip the first chapter of Courtney's math, but we are going to do a lesson a day like we usually do. She will be starting 5th grade math (as a 4th grader), so she is already a year ahead.

As for everything else, we are just going to start from the beginning and work our way through everything. It will be nice getting back to more schoolwork and moving through the curriculum.

I just hope Micah cooperates!!! If he is not cooperating, the girls have plenty of independent work to keep them busy while I deal with him. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment