Monday, April 13, 2015

Spring Break!

I am declaring this week and next week Spring Break for the students and teacher at the Ruwe household!! This has come up for many reasons and there is a trip involved. :)

A couple weeks ago, Matt brought up the subject that he needs to take another week off of work due to their new vacation policy.  I mentioned to him that we should go somewhere. The public school kids just had their spring break and honestly, I enjoyed seeing their vacation pictures on Facebook!  I didn't really think he would go somewhere, but he said, "Sure, where do you want to go?" Hmmm, that was easy!

Right away we asked our kids where they would want to go and almost in unison they said to Illinois to see our friends that moved away about a year ago.  Matt came back with, "It can still snow in April, why don't we think of another place?"  About a day later, Matt came back with, "Let's go to Texas, you kids would love the Houston Space Center PLUS it will be warm down there!"

We just finished up a unit on space about a month ago, so it does tie in with what we have recently learned! 

Matt and I went to Texas about a year or two after we were married, so I started thinking of all the sights that we saw down there.  There is the place Kennedy got assassinated in Dallas and the riverwalk in Austin. I also started looking up some camping places in Texas and their state parks look gorgeous! The kids and I said it sounded great, so let's go!

The next step was to find a week that would work.  Our weekends are filling up in May, so I knew that wouldn't really be an option and we don't like to travel in the summer.  We had about two weeks that were open in April, so we decided to take two weekends and go the week in between.  Matt actually ended getting off the Thursday and Friday before the first weekend and the Monday off after the 2nd weekend. That will give us 12 days, I think that will be sufficient. :)

So this week is the week we leave! Yikes! There is so much to do, so I decided to just do a little bit of school on Monday and Tuesday and then spend Wednesday packing.  (The kids didn't have school last Friday either because I was at a local homeschooling conference, so they are getting a nice-sized spring break!)

Not only do we need to pack this week and get some school done, I am sick with a cold and/or allergies.  I am losing my voice at times and can tell my adrenals are down at the moment.  I have been loading up with natural decongestant, vitamin C, and at times, advil.  I hope this goes away before we leave on Thursday!

And if you are wondering, we will definitely be having summer school at this house!! The kids don't mind and honestly, I would rather travel now than in the middle of summer when it is hot and everything is booked and crowded!

No comments:

Post a Comment